Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Why Is Black Pipe Needed for Gas?
    Hi, All!

The title is my question. Additionally, other than being black, is there some other quality that makes it a requirement to use it, please?

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 03:04 PM

My understanding is that if galvanized pipe is used with gas the galvanizing on the inside of the pipe can flake off and stop up orifices.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Hi, Harold!

Okay, so by being black, does that mean that the pipe isn't galvanized, please?

Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 03:56 PM

Hi guys...

I think Harold hit on the major reason why black pipe is used and not galvanized pipe.

Black pipe is used with black malleable fittings. Unlike black cast iron fittings used for heat systems that are brittle and crack easily (handy when working with old heat pipes) the black malleable fittings bend and dent when hit. You can see where that's a great safety feature with gas... :) This would certainly be a major factor as to why black iron pipe was chosen as a standard.

Black pipe is also used because of its durability... again, hard to dent, crack or puncture. Resistant to fire as well/.

Black pipe doesn't corrode or break down easily. When exposed to the elements, however, black pipe needs to be painted to keep it from rusting.

Also, as Harold mentioned, gal;vanized piping can't be used as natural gas has a tendency to break down the coating causing it to flake and fill orifices of gas equipment.

Black pipe is also trusted all the way back to the first delivery of oil across the nation... ;) Seems it simply became a trusted method of installing large fuel lines.

Finally, as I am sure you are aware Clough, the industry seems to be moving away from the black pipe and on to a corrugated steel piping system. I see some advantages, but I also see disadvantages. Only time will tell how things swing with this stuff.

Mark

PS: Yes, black pipe is not galvanized pipe. Galvanized pipe gets a coating of Zinc to protect the pipe from corroding quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is schedule 40 pipe the black gas pipe they sell at menards [ 0 Answers ]

The plans for a go cart says to use schedule 40 pipe is that thick enough walled 3/4 pipe

Copper L pipe to black iron pipe [ 19 Answers ]

Hello This is a natural gas application. Can flexible L copper pipe be coupled to black iron pipe and then buried? I will paint and wrap the black pipe before burial. Thanks Ruko

Attaching properly gas flex pipe to gas pipe and gas stove [ 5 Answers ]

How do I properly attach the flex pipe to the gas stove on one end and the supply pipe on the other end? Do I need a gas poxy? If so what is the proper method of application--on both sides of the attachments (flex pipe and gas supply pipe/stove) or on just one, how much is enough? How tight do I...

Gas (black) pipe in water line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I used a 9 inch section of black pipe (gas pipe) in my water line, because it was the right length and saved a trip to the store for galvanised. My wife tells me that this will cause the water to smell and taste bad, is she right? It'll be a major pain to replace that section, but she says I...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

View more questions Search