Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handymanTaylor Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Ge electric oven
    My oven seems to run well under the temperature it is set at. In order to get the temperature up to say 375, I have to set the temperature at maybe 550 and then guess as to what the actual temperature is inside the oven.

Is this a bad thermostat?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 17, 2006, 06:16 PM
    If you have a solid state thermostat, then you also have a probe on the oven that measures resistance to tell the t-stat what the temp is.

I don't have a chart for your oven as far as the resistance goes. But as my first attempt to repair this, I would change the probe and the t-stat as a pair. Of course, if the t-stat turns out to be a $200 part, then I would probobly start with the probe first.

If you have an old stove with an mechancial thermostat, then you may be able to calibrate it. If not then you can replace it. You will know if your thermostat is mechanical if it has a capilary tube attached to it with a bulb at the end somewhere in the oven.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Gas Oven [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE XL44 Gas stove. The oven will not light. I have tried to light it with a match but still will not light. What can I do?

Microwave oven [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore built in microwave just stopped working. Nothing works, no lights sounds or keypad response. There is power to the outlet but nothing to the microwave. I've heard there is a fuse that might be blown but don't see anyway to access the inside of the unit without taking it off the wall....

Installing a Electric Stove/Oven [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing an Electric Stove/Oven unit that is not up against a wall. There are cabinets on either side of the stove and a counter for eating behind the stove. I have my wire coming up through the floor behind the stove for the plug. The stove has a downdraft exhaust fan (exhaust fan is under...

View more questions Search