Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sucosam Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 07:45 AM
    Durock - Smooth side or rough side against wall?
    Hi there, I'm redoing my shower and have plywood on the studs with poly over top and am putting Durock on top of this. Next step is to apply mortar and apply tiles. My question is which side of the durock should face out, that is, which side will I tile against? The smooth or the rough?

Thx.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jul 24, 2010, 09:23 AM
    Rough side is intended for thinset installations and smooth side is intended for mastic installations. Since this is a wet area, modified thinset, from a bag is what you should be using, so rough side out. Truth be told, your thinset will stick to either side, though.

Why the plywood?
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jul 24, 2010, 04:53 PM

Just as Brian said. But what is the sheet of plywood doing there, is it to space the wall out? That is against the rules, but since you've covered it with poly you should be fine.

Jaz
    sucosam Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 01:01 PM

The plywood was to bring the wall flush with the lip of the tub as there was about 3/8" difference, and the tile would not have finished where I needed it to, in order to have the tiles come down in front of the lip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Side mirror switch works side to side and down but not up on both sides [ 1 Answers ]

Side mirror switch works side to side and down but not up on both sides for plymouth voyager 1998

My side by side whirlpool refrigerator gets hot on the front vertical separation wall [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Why does my side by side whirlpool refrigerator get hot on the front panel of the refrigerator and freezer separator wall? Thank you.

Tongue Side or Groove Side against the wall for subfloor [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am getting ready to put down an OSB subfloor (4X8 Sheets) and am just wondering what makes the most sense to put up against the wall? The tongue side or the groove side? I seem to find no information on this. Also, I see on most information to leave the boards about 1/8 " apart when...

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

View more questions Search