Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dean1234 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 08:47 PM
    Ground Rods
    I installed two ground rods for my main electrical box when I built my house and they were passed by the local electrical inspector. A year later I removed some of the soil near the rods and installed a three foot retaining wall the length of the house. The rods are still eight foot into the ground, but only the bottom five feet are below the lawn level. The top three feet are behind the three feet of vertical block concrete wall. The distance of the dirt behind the wall to the house foundation is also appox. Three feet. The rods were originally and still are appox. One foot from the basement foundation. The dirt still covers the rods completely and is level with the top of the block wall. In other words I have eight foot rods that only have the first three feet covered outward and downward with three feet of dirt. Is this okay?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:31 AM
    As long as all 8 feet of each rod is in contact with earth, your fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many ground rods are required [ 4 Answers ]

Where in the code book does it require 2 ground rods ?

Home ground rods [ 8 Answers ]

Please help I have been trying to find out how many grounding rods are required to be installed on the outside of a home? Ideally I would like to find the electric codes that specify how many grounding rods are required and if more than one; how far are they apart are they placed?...

Ground rods type, clips and installation technique [ 1 Answers ]

I went to the electrical section of our local chain home center and noticed that they have ground rods in two sizes, and two different material. There was one that had light gray, dull silver color, (I assume it's galvanized metal) and it's diameter looked like was 5/8 inch. The other was...

Installing ground rods [ 8 Answers ]

I want to ground my satellite dish and my phone line. (both installed by so called professionals and not properly grounded) Both enter the house 75 feet or so from where the main electrical enters the house. I want to drive grounding rods at each of the satellite and phone locations. I believe...

Ground Rods [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to install 2 ground Rods 5/8 by 8ft. Can anyone give me any hints on how to install these without damaging the rods. Also I heard that general rule of thumb is 8 foot down and 8 foot apart can anyone shed some light on these locations. Any help will be a great help. Thanks again, ...

View more questions Search