Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eclipsemoon9 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 03:08 PM
    Chemistry lab with stoichiometry.
    Okay so for chemistry class we were supposed to react sodium hydroxide (NaOH) with copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate(CuSO4*5H2O). It forms a precipitate copper (II) hydroxide (Cu(OH)2) and sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) which is dissolved in solution plus water (H2O).

Okay this is the equation we got. Is it right?
    2NaOH+CuSO4*5H2O--> Cu(OH)2+Na2SO4 +5H2O

The teacher gave us .61g NaOH and we had to find out the amount of CuSO4*5H2O needed for the reaction. We got 1.9g. I think maybe this is the part we got wrong.

The products are filtered through a funnel. The filtrate turned pink when phenolphtalein was added. That means there was too much NaOH used.

Help! I can't figure out what we did wrong.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 03:46 PM
    What molecular weights did you get?

Scratch that, I get 1.9g too.

Dec 17, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Let's see.. NaOH is 39.9g/mol and CuSO4*5H20 is 249.41g/mol.

Maybe we did something wrong in the lab part of it. We added water to dissolve each reactant and then put them together and stirred them. After that we filtered it. Do you think maybe how much water we added would make a difference?
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Not really, I'm not sure! It must have been something you've done but I don't know what :)

Dec 18, 2006, 08:04 PM
    Oh I figured it out. Basically the lab was stupid and we just added a bunch more copper II sulfate pentahydrate so that it didn't turn pink. So if we had done the calculation wrong the first time it might have worked.

Thanks anyway.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Haha great! :D
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Dec 19, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Just for my own curiosity, what colour was the copper II sulfate pentahydrate that you added to the solution? Was it white, or blue?

If it was white, then it was just copper II sulfate (no pentahydrate). That would mess up your calculations. If it was blue, then it was the pentahydrate form, but there may have been too much H2O added (was it damp?). The extra H2O would mess up your measurements.

Dec 20, 2006, 03:27 PM
    It was blue, so it was pentahydrate. But I don't know about it being damp. Maybe somehow there was condensation from people handling the beakers or something. I don't know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gravimetric stoichiometry [ 4 Answers ]

Powdered zinc metal reacts violently with S8 when heated. Predict the mass of sulfur required to react with 25g of zinc. Bauxite contains aluminum oxide, which is decomposed using electricity to produce aluminum metal. What mass of aluminum metal can be produced from 100g of aluminum oxide? ...

Gravimetric Stoichiometry [ 1 Answers ]

What is the step by step to get the answer for the following question: How many moles of Oxygen has will react with 16.2 g of iron? If you could answer me that I would love it!!

Gas and solution stoichiometry [ 2 Answers ]

I've been asked this question: What volume of carbon dioxide gas at 100kPa and 35C is produced by the complete reaction of 50mL of a 0.200 mol/L baking soda solution with excess hydrochloric acid? And this is what I've started with for solving it. NaHCO3 + HCl --> NaCl + CO2 + H2O CO2 v...

Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

What is a common use for CaCO4?

View more questions Search