Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 02:57 AM
    Bi-Partisanship Is Alive
    Who says there is no bi-partisanship in the U.S.

New presidents never press charges against former administrations regardless of whether from same party or another party. (Maybe some minor ones or Watergate which was ongoing).
    Does that put the kibosh on that whole checks and balances thing?
    You wonder why they don't worry too much about their acts are legal or not?
    Prosecute the formers and put your own power in jeopardy--is there a pact?
    What would it take to cause the pact to not apply? Impeachment is for current pres.
    Can't impeach former pres.
    Is that democracy in action?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Hello again, smear:

Couple things.

Watergate was prosecuted by congress - not the next president. You're right, though. No president has ever been prosecuted by his replacement... However, if there IS a pact, and Sarah Palin replaces Barack Obama, SHE'S going to break it.

I say that, not because I think he's done anything to be prosecuted for, but because the hate for him is SO rampant by the rightwing.

However, prosecuting lower level officials who broke the law is something new administrations SHOULD absolutely DO. For example, Obama should prosecute the torturers, and those that enabled them. That way, we can be somewhat assured that we're not EVER going to torture anybody else. But, as long as we DON'T prosecute them, it's going to be a tool we use in the future. You can count on it.

Personally, I HATE that we were once the beacon of light in the word for human rights. Now, we're torturers.

excon
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 10:44 AM

Yeah, Watergate now that I think of it fits the pattern. Not only did Ford not prosecute Nixon, he pardoned him after he had already been charged by the prosecutor. Not a bi-par. Example but it shows that the theory still holds in an even stronger way, as Ford gave up his political future pardoning Nixon and I think he knew it would happen. Those of us who served in the military were taught very early on that the Geneva Conventions were about honor and discipline. They can save time not having to cover that subject in bootcamp anymore. It's all for the good of the country, say they!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Alive(?) [ 16 Answers ]

I was at a ski resort, and heard a song that was really good, in my opinion, that had the hook "I'm Alive" in it. The song had a sort of creppy-funk vibe. Sorry I can't give more info, but it's been awhile since I heard it, and it's driving me crazy. Thx in advance for any help.

Why can't we become a ghost if we are still alive? [ 4 Answers ]

Let me see if I can get this right; it's confusing. If the meaning of a ghost comes from a person that had a tragic event or otherwise, then why can't we be a ghost if we go through similar events, even if we are still alive? Say these events (for the live person) happened in Florida and moved to...

I really Like him but he doesn't know I'm even alive! [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 15, and there's this boy I've been crushing on in the year above me. I haven't had a serious boyfriend in four years and it is really getting me down. So almost all of my friends know this boy except me! And they're making no move to introduce me to him even though they know I like him. He...

I'm alive [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know the artist that sings that song it is on line in a beautiful inspirational musical card

View more questions Search