Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Jul 21, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Buying a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer
    I am going up to Amarillo, Tx in hopes of returing with a Trailblazer.

There is one specific one I am looking at. It is a little pricy $9900 but it has 72k miles on it. The color I want. The only problem I have is. Its from a smaller dealership off the highway there. My mom says I should buy from a "Name brand" dealership like ford or dodge or some place like that. My dad on the other hand says it may be safe to purchase the truck from this dealer. The reason my mom is saying stay with the bigger dealerships is because the truck my not be mechanically sound, like I may get it back home to here in Clovis, Nm. And it starts breaking down on me and then I am trying to fix it. Although that could very well be true, this dealership may be trusthworthy and maybe nothing is wrong with the truck. I really want this truck. It is everything I am looking for and the price on it is workable

Any imput?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:39 PM

Since your spending a lot of money you should be able to spend a little more and have a local mechanic check it over for you. If the dealer objects then that is a red flag. Also you may ask for a "carfax" on the care to make sure what your getting isn't a recovery of some kind. How close to value are you buying the car according to places like kellybluebook or any of the others ?

Jul 21, 2010, 07:43 PM

there price is right about the blue book value, but I want to see if I can talk them down to at least $9k
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:49 PM

Keep a positive attitude and draw yourself a line in the sand. Be prepared to walk away if your line can't be met. Look it over really good. Not just quick looks. Look at the lines to inspect for damage or dings or paint chips etc. Nit pick it in your head and be prepared to state what you had seen. Play tough.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jul 21, 2010, 07:54 PM

I think that it doesn't really matter what kind dealership you get it from especially if it's used. "Bigger" car companies don't really pick all of the used cars they get. People usually trade their old cars in for a new one at the "bigger" dealerships so the dealership still gets old cars that may have issues.. which is often why people want to trade their cars in the first place. Smaller dealerships often get the cars at auction or have the trade-ins like the big dealerships. Either way, as long as it's used, there's always a chance that it may have problems regardless where you got it from.

I think the price is what matters more. I would check the kelly blue book value to see if the price is reasonable. You could also try checking sites that let you search for specific cars like Yahoo autos or auto trader. You might be able to find it cheaper at another dealer.

Jul 21, 2010, 08:00 PM

the blue book value is 9,600. I will deffinetly give the truck a real good look over and even try and take it to a mechanic. I actually found the truck off autotrader. Went and looked at it last weekend, they wanted me to trade my car for the truck. So this time I am going back with all cash no trade so they can't really try to rip me off like they did last week
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 13sldr View Post
    the blue book value is 9,600. I will deffinetly give the truck a real good look over and even try and take it to a mechanic. I actualy found the truck off of autotrader. went and looked at it last weekend, they wanted me to trade my car for the truck. so this time I am going back with all cash no trade so they can't really try to rip me off like they did last week
    Do not go alone and don't mention cash until your out of the public eye. The reasons are obvious. Good Luck.

Jul 21, 2010, 08:14 PM

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evaporative control system not ready on a 05 chevy trailblazer [ 3 Answers ]

Is just that it pass the emission test

2004 trailblazer speedometer sensor [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday the speedometer stopped functioning properly. It has dropped completely out of the numeric range and sporadicly shows a false speed. I contacted a dealer and they said it will cost around $550 to correct. They claim it was a senser. Can I just replace the speedometer? Is there a sensor...

2004 trailblazer speedometer does not work [ 1 Answers ]

My 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer speedometer and tachometer has stopped working. I'm nervous about taking it to a dealership as I have heard about $600+ cluster repairs. Any ideas on the solution to the problem? Thanks.

2004 trailblazer speedometer problem [ 1 Answers ]

My 2004 trailblazer speedometer will not go to 0 nor will it track the speed. I have changed the speed sensor on the transmission but it still is not working. What is the next step to resovle the problem?

View more questions Search