Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khamanthony Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
    What would happen if 1 mil. Investors bought 1 share of the company at the same time?
    For example, If I manage to organize 1 million investors to buy a share of a company that was currently priced at 1 dollar at the same time, would there be any significant consequences with the company and the share prices? Would there a dramatic difference among smaller companies than large companies etc. etc.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2010, 11:42 AM

A free market is based on supply and demand. If demand increased for a company's shares, then its likely the price would go up. If the demand increased while the supply decreased, the price might go even higher.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 01:28 PM

Remember that whenever someone buys a share of stock, someone else has sold it. So for the miilion investors to buy one share all at once, there have to be existing investors with 1 million shares who agree to sell. For large companies that typically have several milllion stock transactions per day it's not a big deal (Exxon-Mobil's volume today is about 25 million shares). For small companies that typically do a lot less than a million shares each day the price would go through the roof. If I was aware of your scheme ahead of time I could cheat by buying a bunch of shares the day before, so I could sell them to you and your fellow conspirators on the day you all step in to buy.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 02:06 PM

Hello k:

Ebaines is right. They don't sell one share at a time, so the exchange would wait till all million of you gathered together in large groups, and started to buy. Even with a large company like Exxon, a purchase like that is liable to raise the stock a few points. Then if there's no reason for the stock to have risen other than that purchase, the price will go down again.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this Inter-caste marriage? Can it happen? Share your exp. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a very generalized question. I belong to NAIDU caste, KAMMA NAIDU specifically. My friend is also NAIDU caste but BALIJA NAIDU. If we both marry, will it be called inter-caste marriage? (as we are marring inside NAIDU caste.) And, on an average, how often does this type of...

It's a time for Investors to Think. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, After a global bull rally, now its time for investors to learn about the market fundamentals... Bcos with out knowning the companies valuations,track record Large number of new entrants in equity market in last 2 years. Around 500000000000000 Crs,Global Loss!! Most Affected in...

View more questions Search