Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 21, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Question about 2003 Kia Spectra
    I recently started to smell gasoline when my car is idling, which is something that started over the last few weeks. I don't have the air conditioner on either when I do smell it, if that helps.

Any thoughts on what it could be?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 10:55 AM

Make sure the gas cap is tight. See if you can tell if it's coming from under the hood or near the gas tank. Open the hood and look for any apparent leaks from the line going to the fuel rail. Similarly, see if you can see or smell gas around fuel pressure regulator hoses, for instance, going to the fuel tank. Solder jobs can loosen over time. Finally, ensure you are not continuing to put gas in the tank once the nozzle cuts off--you may be drowning your EVAP control system with raw gasoline, instead of fumes.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 22, 2010, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Make sure the gas cap is tight. See if you can tell if it's coming from under the hood or near the gas tank. Open the hood and look for any apparent leaks from the line going to the fuel rail. Similarly, see if you can see or smell gas around fuel pressure regulator hoses, for instance, going to the fuel tank. Solder jobs can loosen over time. Finally, ensure you are not continuing to put gas in the tank once the nozzle cuts off--you may be drowning your EVAP control system with raw gasoline, instead of fumes.
    Thanks, Tex. Turns out that there is a small leak from the line gong to the fuel rail. Is that dangerous enough for me to ground the vehicle for the time being? I'm afraid engine spark could ignite the gas or something.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 06:54 AM

Yes. Carefully disconnect the negative battery cable, so as not to create a spark, especially if you decide to make repairs. Before making repairs, depressurize the system. The procedure varies from car-to-car; sometimes, it just requires opening the gas cap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2005 kia spectra fuel filter location [ 1 Answers ]

Need to know where the fuel filter is on a 2005 kia spectra.

Kia spectra fuel filter [ 1 Answers ]

Need to change my kia spectra fuel filter and can't find it. Need location of it.

2003 kia spectra valve gasket [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering if it was very hard to change a valve gasket on a 2003 kia spectra and how would I go about doing it?

2006 Kia Spectra [ 11 Answers ]

I've been shopping for a car for the kids. I'm looking at an '06 Kia Spectra... partially because of mostly good reviews of kia in general, and the price: $8500 (dealer friend offered it at his cost. It will only cost me a dinner :) ) It's got 25k miles. Txgreasemonkey or any kia owners, do...

06 KIA Spectra [ 5 Answers ]

We just bought a KIA. 23K miles check engine light just came on car running very good, temp of vehicle in the middle or lower, running smooth. Any ideas? I've checked all fluids. Thanks

View more questions Search