Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbrideau Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 09:34 AM
    New Water Heater~ now no water pressure, pressure tank won't stay on...
    Hello,

Yesterday, we had our hot water heater replaced as it was 18 years old. The utility company sent their plumbing contractor to take the old one our and put in the new one. Before they arrived our water was perfectly fine. After they left, we had no water. Basically told my wife, sorry we switched it out the rest is your problem. Long story short I called them and they sent out 2 different plumbers and they are saying our well water is too low/dry. Here is what is happening:

The pump would run and the pressure tank (cold water tank, not sure what is the proper name) would inclease to around 30 PSI sometimes higher. When the water stops running the pressure drops to 0. While the water is running and the pressure is there I can run cold water but get very little to no hot water from the facet. My water is crystal clear the entire time.

If I was to leave the ball valve to the on position so the water could flow, the pump would come on every 5-10 minutes and pressure would increase in the tank but then die out again and go to 0. It kept doing this for a little while until I completely cut power to the pump and the water heater and waited until morning.
    In the morning I put the power back on and the pump kept going for 10-15 minutes until stopping but no pressure stayed in the tank. It had reached 50PSI. Before leaving for work I cut out the power again as I was worried about my pump.

My water heater is 40 gallons (same as previous)
    Pressure Switch is 30/50
    Not sure what size my cold water/pressure tank is... but it is blue and inside the house. Ha ha

So basically it seems the water comes in but the pressure won't stay in the tank and we lose all water flow. The hot water barely flows when the pump is running but the cold water from the faucets I've tried seem to work fine.

Help...
    mbrideau Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 08:10 PM

Started a new thread. 1/2 the problem seems gone. Now don't have hot water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New shallow well pump new huge pressure tank but water pressure is terrible [ 11 Answers ]

When I had a smaller pump (shallow well) and small tank my water pressure was great. When I had to replace everything the person installing the system put a bigger pump and a huge pressure tank. It is the size of a 50 gal water heater. I replaced everything. Ever since then my water pressure is...

Does the pressure from the hot water tank effect the pressure of the cold water? [ 2 Answers ]

We have very low water pressure at our kitchen sink from both the cold and hot water faucets, but no problem with the water pressure to the bathroom or washer. The cold water tank is closest to the kitchen and the hot water heater is near the bathroom and washer. Someone told my roommate that there...

How to set up water heater to pressure tank [ 1 Answers ]

We are having a shallow well dug this spring up in Maine and are looking for information on how to install the main water pipe to the pressure tank to the hot water tank with plumbing to go to our shower, bath sink and kitchen sink. We do have basic plumbing skills.

Order of water heater, pressure tank, and pex manifold [ 5 Answers ]

Part of a major remodel that I am doing requires me to move the utility room further away from the main water supply feed and run new water lines to every fixture. I am going to be using a pex manifold in this system. Because of a couple different reasons that I won't waste your time explaining...

Converting Old water heater to Pressure Tank [ 11 Answers ]

I want to make a home made well pump system. My house is currently one city water; I have a well under my house that is safe. Can I use an old water heater that is good shape except for it won't heat water? How can I convert this into a Pressure Tank?

View more questions Search