Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steveladd Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 07:26 AM
    connecting second floor waste to main waste stack?
    I have new new modular cape that had the first floor plumbing complete, and the second floor stubbed, and want to know the right way to connect the second floor waste drain which was installed in the house, to the main waste drain.

The main waste drain comes up verically from the basement floor along the outside wall (where its connected to the sewer) and has all first floor waste lines draining into it. There is a vertical arm stubbed on this waste drain, which is capped about 1' from the basement ceiling (which is only insulated, not sheetrocked). The second floor waste drain is 8 feet from this drain (toward the center of the house and about 12" to the left, in between two joists. There is an existing pipe that goes from the main drain to the main stack.

looking up from the basement to the basement ceiling:

first floor drains
    |
    |main stack vent
    |------------------------ <- joist
    W======V..........O main waste connected to vent; second floor stub
    |
    O stubbed arm off main waste
    |-------------------------- <- joist

So, I need to "simply" get from the second floor stub to the stubbed arm on the main waste drain.

I'd like to keep the pipes in the ceiling if at all possible. The joists are 2x12.

Can I use a 90 elblow to turn from the vertical second floor stub to the horizonal or do I need 45? Likewise, can I also use a 90 elblow to go from the horizontal into the stubbed arm or need 45? And I assume I need a cleanout near the second floor stub - also 45 or 90 angle?

|---------------------------
    |... o <- what angles can I use to change from
    |... / vertical to horizontal
    | O---------------- <- clean out
    |---------------------------
    .. ^
    and back from horizontal to vertical?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 17, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Hey Steve,

While I'm sure you have the lay out firmly in your head I need a diagram to understand it. I confuse real easy.
    You speak of a of a stack vent. Does that mean the first floor fixtures are vented by it or do you have a separate vent stack for them? I hope they are vented by a separate vent stack because if they vent into the stack you wish to tie the second floor fixtures to then the venting system for the first floor will have to be reconfigured before you can discharge the second floor fixtures into it, However, while you may have to change the first floor vents you will be able to use it for the second floor vent. Good luck, Tom
    steveladd Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 08:42 AM
    The stack vent is the existing vent for the first floor fixtures. The second floor fixtures have their own stack vent.

The first floor plumbing is complete and inspected by the plumbing inspector.

The main waste pipe has a vertical stub that was insalled by the plumber to connect to the future (now present) second floor drain, that came with the house - just a 3" vertical pipe to drain the upstairs fixtures. This pipe now extends through the roof as the second floor vent, and the upstairs fixtures vent into that.

So, my only quandry at this point is how to tie the second floor drain into the main drain. I think I can do it with 45 bends, but wanted to be sure, and also check if I can use 90s if I have to.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 17, 2006, 09:03 AM
    "The stack vent is the existing vent for the first floor fixtures. The second floor fixtures have their own stack vent.
    The first floor plumbing is complete and inspected by the plumbing inspector."

Just so we're on the same page a stack vent has discharge draining into it while a vent stack is dry and is used as a vent only.
    Are you saying that you have two stack vents? One for downstairs and another for the upstairs rough? If so you're home free, if not then you have a problem.
    It is always preferable to use long sweeps or 45's in a drainage system rather them 90's. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of waste lines from toilet to main [ 4 Answers ]

I have been told that 3-inch drain from a toilet achieves a better "swirling" action than larger 4-inch pipe, therefore helping to carry away solid wastes better. Is this true ? And if so, how far should I run before opening up to the main 4-inch waste line that exists my concrete slab ? :confused:

Waste / Vent Stack Setup [ 4 Answers ]

I've put a 2-story addition on my house, working on the plumbing now. There are 2 full baths in the addition, one on top of the other. To make things complicated, the upstairs toilet & sink are above the downstairs shower, and the upstairs shower are above the downstairs toilet & sink. As...

Plugging broken waste why [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron y connection in my 4" waste stack. The former owners used the Y to plumb a bathroom but thier work was very substandard. I pulled all their plumbing and ran a new waste line for the bathroom. My problem is their old y connection is completely broken (the pipe that was...

Indirect waste to floor drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large mostly glass, indoor garden room and would like to add a basin of some sort to soak plants, water orchids (most of the water drains off), etc. I have easy access to a water supply but no drain. Directly below the garden room is the boiler and hot water tank on a concrete floor with...

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

View more questions Search