Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NurseBarbieCakes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2003, 01:46 PM
    Married 23 Years/Divorced/Parents
    Hi, I was married 23 years :o... I got married when I was 16... Now I am divorced... A divorce that I wanted... My problem is now that my ex is dating someone else my parents act like they just can't believe that I am not jealous... I don't understand it because I am also dating someone... I couldn't care less that my ex is dating someone else... I really am happy for him but my mother especially seems to think I'm stupid for not being jealous... She's always saying stuff like "oh I bet his girlfriend likes all that money he makes" just stupid stuff like that... My parents both act like I am crazy for divorcing a man who made good money and treated me good and I have tried to tell them over and over that money doesn't mean anything if your not happy but they still find their little ways to show me that they don't believe that now that he has a girlfriend that I don't care... I have found myself just staying away from them because this gets on my nerves... If anyone has any advise I would appreciate it... Thanks! :)
    chaz1797 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2003, 11:05 PM
    You know it seems like you have to sit down with your parents and let them know how your feeling, communication is the route to solving a lot of problems, sometimes evan in marriages, let them know that their imput is keeping you away from them and tthat your happy, and they to make a choice either to accept what you have done or they are not going to be seeing a lot of you... They need to respect your choices no matter what they think... Best of luck and God Bless

Chaz :)
    Shiru Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2003, 12:55 AM
    Hi,
    If you are trully happy then what other people say or think isn't important. You made a decision because you know what is right for you. Tell your parents you would rather not discuss him because you moved on. Talk to your parents and if it means telling them you don't want to discuss him ever then you do that. If they care about you they will stop.
    dwalex Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

May 16, 2003, 08:06 AM
    At your age why are you still under your mother's watchful eye. Its time to grow up and live your own life. You appear to know that happiness is more than money; happiness is also more than living up to your parents expectations. I'm not sure why your mother is butting into your life as a mature adult but you cannot control your mother, you can control your reaction to her.
    Best wishes,
    Dwalex
    schuylervj Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2003, 02:52 PM
    Yes... tell them to stop. You are getting on with your life and you no longer wish to hear his name mentioned and asked questions and listen to comments about him and his wife. You are moving onl he has moved on, and your parents need to move on and leave you alone or you must stay away from them until they "get over it." Remember, no one can take advantage of you (or annoy you) without your permission; stop giving it to them and simply absent yourself until they get the message.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is he divorced? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister-in-law filed for divorce from my brother about 2 years ago. My brother never signed any papers or cooporated with her lawyer. Now he decides he wants to marry again. How and where would he go to find out if he is divorced, without having to contact his ex, so he can remarry?

Wedding Ettiquette for Divorced Parents [ 3 Answers ]

All the information I have found re: wedding etiquette for divorced parents is about the BRIDE'S parents. What about the groom's parents? My friend's son is getting married in Aug. She is in the middle of a very difficult process of divorce and is definitely not on speaking terms with her...

Still not divorced [ 7 Answers ]

I have been seeing a man for over a year now. He has been separated from his wife for over a year and a half. They are going for a dissolutionment, but not has happened yet. How long should I wait for a commitment? I know he does not love her, but how can I speed things up?

Divorced? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to see if my friend really is divorced without paying for detective fees? Are there data bases to view?:confused:

Divorced men only, please [ 1 Answers ]

Hi MEN only please. I've been involved with a wonderful person for 2 years now. We have a very similar background. We're both divorced, have a child each (boys) and never take each other for granted. We both work hard at communicating our differences. While he's pretty much almost perfect...

View more questions Search