Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Akeefer59 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Electric Hot Water overheating
    My hot water heater is over heating and tripping the breaker on the thermostat. I replaced the thermostat with no difference. The hot water heater is 8 years old and never been flushed until yesterday and what a mess, but it still it did not help. Any ideas
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 20, 2010, 05:22 PM

If you've replaced the thermostats and it's still blowing the breakers the next step would be to replace both eleiments. If you have access to a AmpProbe the heater should not pull any more then 19 amps.
    Be advised that these are opposing elements. Only one on at a time.
    If the thermostats are wired so they both come on at the same time this will overload the breaker.
    Double check the thermostat connections and if they're correct replace the elements. Good luck, Tom

Jul 20, 2010, 06:46 PM
    I should have mentioned its only a single element hot water heater. I thought about changing the element, but it seems if the thermostat is working correctly that shouldn't matter.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 07:45 PM

What do you mean that the thermostat seems to be working correctly if the heater is over heating.

If your element is shorted out to ground on the leg that is not controlled by the thermostat it will continue to heat until it trips the reset button. So I say you change the element and see if that solves the problem

Jul 20, 2010, 08:26 PM

I never thought about the element shorting to ground.

Thanks I'll change the element and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

Inadequate hot water from electric water heater [ 3 Answers ]

My hot water isn't hot like it use to. It lasts for 5 minutes in the shower. Can get one more time if I turn off for a few minutes. The water heater has never been serviced or water flushed since we moved here since 1980. I drained some of the water the other day and didn't notice any sediment...

No hot water from electric water heater [ 18 Answers ]

I've installed a new 55 gal hot water heater. My old water heater had only two wires black and white. The new water heater came with three wires a yellow, blue and black. I've attached the blue and black to the incoming black wire and the yellow is attached to the white incoming wire. I...

New electric water heater low hot water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced an old electric hot water heater, roughly 10+ years old, with a new one. This was done in the early am, before noon. It is now evening, after 6pm EST. and I've noticed two things. 1) My hot water pressure is now low in all of my faucets, but the cold water is fine. 2) The water...

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

View more questions Search