Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    david mytnik Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Whirlpol electric hot water heater
    I have attached all piping and filled heater, when I touch the electrical outlet box (metal cover) and copper piping I get a shock. The wiring in the electrical box has the ground attached to the box. The wiring is 2 wires plus a ground. The outlet has space for three wires (2 hot wires and 1 nuetral) but no ground wire to be attached. What can I do to prevent this shock?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 17, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Sounds like something is barley shorting to ground, or the water heater itself.

A throurough investivation is needed to find the culprit. Look for loose connections. Make sure its properly grounded.
    You may also try postin this in the lighting and electrical board, as this sounds like an electrical issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring electric hot water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I am converting from gas hot h20 heater to electric, I need a wiring diagram in order to wire the electric heater into the breaker box.

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Electric water heater placement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi again. I love this website. I am renovating a very small kitchen, and every inch counts. To maximize cabinet space, I'm putting the electric water heater under the countertop. The kitchen countertop is L shaped, and I'm putting the water heater in the corner, with a cabinet on each side...

Electric water heater thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

How do you troubleshoot a thermostat on an electric water heater to verify if its working or not? Bench testing and testing on unit?

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

View more questions Search