Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmazzola Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 02:20 PM
    How many ground rods are required
    Where in the code book does it require 2 ground rods ?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 02:30 PM

Two rods are not required, but they are typically done to avoid having to test for resistance, or if the required resistance is not met.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 02:32 AM
    A State Electrical Inspector may require more than one rod as a rule in that state.
    Branover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 10:44 AM

Depends what city/state you're in. Here usually they just put one ground rod and run the ground wire to the cold water pipe and the ground rod.

Los Angeles Electrician
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Branover View Post
    Depends what city/state you're in. Here usually they just put one ground rod and run the ground wire to the cold water pipe and the ground rod.
    This may be true for your area, but he asked where it was in the code book.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home ground rods [ 8 Answers ]

Please help I have been trying to find out how many grounding rods are required to be installed on the outside of a home? Ideally I would like to find the electric codes that specify how many grounding rods are required and if more than one; how far are they apart are they placed?...

Ground rods type, clips and installation technique [ 1 Answers ]

I went to the electrical section of our local chain home center and noticed that they have ground rods in two sizes, and two different material. There was one that had light gray, dull silver color, (I assume it's galvanized metal) and it's diameter looked like was 5/8 inch. The other was...

Installing ground rods [ 8 Answers ]

I want to ground my satellite dish and my phone line. (both installed by so called professionals and not properly grounded) Both enter the house 75 feet or so from where the main electrical enters the house. I want to drive grounding rods at each of the satellite and phone locations. I believe...

Grounding rods [ 4 Answers ]

First off thanks everyone for all your help so far. I have a question about a grounding rod. Can it be used in place of a water utility connection? My water meter is a good 50 feet away from my house and I am pretty sure that the pipes that run into the house are non-metallic, plus I have no...

Ground Rods [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to install 2 ground Rods 5/8 by 8ft. Can anyone give me any hints on how to install these without damaging the rods. Also I heard that general rule of thumb is 8 foot down and 8 foot apart can anyone shed some light on these locations. Any help will be a great help. Thanks again, ...

View more questions Search