Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Modifying Existing Cabinetry
    I have face front cabinets with 1 1/2 inch uniform rails and stiles. I want to replace the doors with full overlay shaker doors leaving only a 1/4 inch reveal all around.

What kind of hinges do I need - with luck something that I can find at one of the big box stores.

TIA.
    Steve
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 07:25 PM
    The shaker doors are being made? Or are used?

If new,make sure the manufacturer knows your intentions for reveal.There are hundreds of styles of hinges,perhaps a dozen types,but still,the mounting of a 32mm hinge on a recessed mounted door just doesn't work.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 06:11 AM

I was actually going to make them myself. Sort of a proof of concept.

Guessing since I have a 1 1/2 inch stile and want a 1/4 inch reveal, I want a face frame hinge with a 1 1/4 in overlay. Does that sound right? HD has them with a 1 3/8 overlay - which might work for this test run.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    I was actually going to make them myself. Sort of a proof of concept.

guessing since I have a 1 1/2 inch stile and want a 1/4 inch reveal, I want a face frame hinge with a 1 1/4 in overlay. Does that sound right? HD has them with a 1 3/8 overlay - which might work for this test run.
    So the hinge side has to be raised above the style,and to match the other side,you will need a recessed hinge of at least 1/4 inch.

I believe this is too confusing to do online, too many options for hinges,and not enough actual products in front of us to discuss the in's and out;s of each one.

The trip to the store will settle your mind about what type,how wide to make the doors,etc.

Sorry,this is just not an online thing(at least for me)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Calculate Projected Sales for Ready to Assemble Cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Kitchen Cabinetry specifically designed for very small spaces i.e. dorm room, office, hotel room, closet Similar product would be 'Sauder' brand ready to assemble furniture/shelving. Kitchen Cabinetry houses dorm size frig, small microwave, utensil drawer, slide out cutting board, counter top and...

Modifying existing pipe [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I have 2 problems similar in nature. 1) I need to install a Y fitting in a already existing 3 inch vertical pipe that runs from the basement floor up into the first floor. If I cut this pipe, how can I insert the Y fitting, since I cannot move the upper part or lower part of the pipe? 2) I...

Modifying Child Custody [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I finalized our divorce Jan 2007. Up until the divorce was finalized I have had full custody, for the divorce agreement we decided on joint custody/joint residence. My ex-husband loves his daughter and she loves him, she is now almost seven years old. My question is this: I do...

Creating and modifying a document [ 1 Answers ]

Please how do I create and modify a document

View more questions Search