Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hornet75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Can someone's private insurance sue,after my insurance settled with rentals insurer?
    I was in a accident in 2006 in California and I was at-fault. Woman at a red light turning right began to merge as she had plenty of time and space. She then stopped for some reason, as I began to attempt to merge looking over my left shoulder and saw a still safe opening I started to go and rearended her rental car. The woman I hit was driving a rental car, and didn't take the additional insurance offered. My insurance then paid for the damages I caused to the other vehicle, but now her personal insurance company is suing me for the deductable and court fees they had to pay, because she didn't take the insurance with the rental company. Is this legal? And what are my chances of fighting this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 07:22 PM

What did your insurance pay ? Merely for the costs that the rental company had, or all the repairs to the car ?

You merely turn it over to your insurance, and let them either pay or fight it, they should be taking care of this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet75 View Post
    I was in a accident in 2006 in california and i was at-fault. Woman at a red light turning right began to merge as she had plenty of time and space. She then stopped for some reason, as i began to attempt to merge looking over my left shoulder and saw a still safe opening i started to go and rearended her rental car. The woman i hit was driving a rental car, and didnt take the additional insurance offered. My insurance then payed for the damages i caused to the other vehicle, but now her personal insurance company is suing me for the deductable and court fees they had to pay, because she didnt take the insurance with the rental company. Is this legal? And what are my chances of fighting this?

Court fees? Yes, this is legal. Your chances of fighting it are good; your chances of winning are not good.

You cannot dictate which claims your insurance will pay or what amounts and this is accident is clearly your fault. The other driver and her company should not be forced to pay any part of the damages.

Did she sue you for personal injury?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 09:27 PM

She didn't need to take the additional insurance since she already had a "home" policy. As Judy said, she shouldn't have to pay any part of this since you were at fault. In fact, whether she was driving a rental or not isn't even the issue-- you were at fault so your are responsible for the damages you caused.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sue a dentist that lied about insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HOM detest (CAPITATED PROGRAM). I have many serious dental problems that I have not had treated because my detest says my insurance does not cover them. I called my insurance and the nine procedures I needed were ALL covered in full. The detest even documented these false statements...

Not at fault, but no insurance, can I sue [ 7 Answers ]

I was in an accident in Ca. I was stopped at a 4 way stop, as it was my turn to go the person to my right did not stop and ran into me, the stop sign was down so he claims he didn't see it. Either way, I didn't have insurance, he had no insurance and a suspended licence, my car was totaled. I am...

Insurance settlement due from bankrupt insurer [ 2 Answers ]

We are about to reach a claim settlement with our insurer, AIG. As of today, AIG is reportedly about to file bankruptcy. Will we collect this agreed settlement if: 1.) we agree and sign-off on a settlement and THEN AIG files before they actually pay? Or 2.) we delay signing off on this...

Can I Sue someone who stole from me to recover my insurance deductable [ 2 Answers ]

We rented a storage locker to warehouse furniture and items from my parents estate. We received notice that there was a break-in at the locker. Our first assessment of the site indicates they took a computer.. stereo equipment... and smashed or broke high-end crystal and dinnerware. Our home...

No insurance on private property. [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a moving truck, at time of rental I purchased insurance through the rental agency. I was involved in an accident at a gas station in Ohio. I was making a right turn out of the station and I had my right turn signal on. This guy pulls up on my right side, in my blind spot. I did not see...

View more questions Search