Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newf713 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 04:10 PM
    How do I fix a warped door
    I installed a 32" interior door with casings for my bathroom, it fix perfectly but a couple months later it won't close and seems to be swollen.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 04:33 PM

Is the door a six panel, hollow core, pre-hung door?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 05:33 PM

If u use a wooden ruler as a gauge between door and jamb, u will not get this problem.

There are 2 ways to fix.

If not binding near passage set, u can plane the door.

If binding near passage set. Remove trim on lock side, loosen shims and adjust spacing. If u plane near passage set u will not have the right offset for knob. The hole may show.

After resetting door, be sure to paint all edges including the bottom. This will help restrict swelling from humidity.

Good luck

Chuck
    Newf713 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Is the door a six panel, hollow core, pre-hung door?
    The door is a hollow core, pre-hung, light oak look. Its definitely due to humidity, just need to know how to fix without destroying the casing or the trim.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 02:28 AM
    Remove the trim either inside the room or on the outside.

Cut the nails with a sawzall,remove the shims,they are too tight.trim off the nails still protruding through and stuck in the studs.Reinstall the unit,this time without so many shims,just enough to snug-fit the unit,not to make it tight.

Re-install the trim removed and job well done:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fix ariston oven door [ 0 Answers ]

I have an Ariston Mixed Cooker, model CP 859 MT. The door no longer closes fully, there is a 1cm gap. We have removed the door and had a look at it, but cannot see any way of adjusting the hinges. They appear to be solid steel and are tucked away inside the door. Any help would be much...

Warped Aluminum door frame [ 1 Answers ]

My 6ft aluminum door frame is warped and sticks. Is there anything I can do? Marjie

How to fix the dishwasher dispenser door with a spring? [ 1 Answers ]

My dishwasher detergent dispenser door has fallen down, I fixed it, but when I used the dishwasher next time, the soap was not used, that means the dispenser didn't open. Pl tell me how to fix thae door which has a spring correctly..

Warped sliding glass door frame causes door to stick. [ 5 Answers ]

The center of our 8 foot sliding glass door bends out about 3/8 inch more than the two ends causing the door to wedge against trim that keeps the door from falling out when the door is closed making it difficult to open the door. How do I get the center of the door frame into place so the door...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search