Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rustee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 03:49 AM
    Replaced the brass refill assembly and now hissing noise on refill
    I replaced the brass refill assembly with one that looked like the old one but now after flushing is makes a loud hissing noise while it is refilling.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 03:55 AM

Hi Rustee...

I'd start here by shutting off the water supply and then disassembling the new unit to expose the washer. Sounds to me like you have some sediment that has gotten under the washer of the new unit.

Once you have the washer exposed, remove it, clean it and then pulse the water supply on while putting a rag over the top and clear the lines 100%. Reassemble the unit and hopefully you're all set here!

If that fails to fix the issue then you repeat these steps at the shutoff to the toilet, etc...

Any questions just let us know...

Mark
    Attached Images

rustee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 04:00 AM

I am not sure what washer you mean - - the black rubber washer that is kind of beveled?

Oops! I just saw the diagram and know now you mean the one at the top. I will try it. Thanks. This is my first attempt to fix a toilet.

OK, I have taken apart and put back together the top part. I also let a little water flow with the washer parts off. It is better but had a few bubbles when I again flushed it and still makes a hissing noise but not as loud.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 04:28 AM
    When you flushed the water was there a hissing noise? If not, I'd flush the fill valve again and be sure to clean BOTH sides of the washer. If that fails to work you'll need to shut off the main water supply to the house and may need to disassemble the shutoff to clear that shutoff of any sediment that may have gitten stuck when you shut the valve off.

The hissing sound only occurs during refill... right? If so, follow the above advice. If not, then the ball float may need to be adjusted to stop the valve from filling. The water should end up at about 1" below the overflow tube in the center of the tank.

Back to you...

Mark

PS: I'm off to a job right now. I'll check on you when I get back in a couple hours or so... ;)

Did you install the bevelled washer by the way? If so, that should not be needed as most toilet connectors have a washer connected... consider removing that washer and see if that fixes it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in toilet tank won't refill after I replaced ball and cock [ 4 Answers ]

I just replaced the ball and cock mechinism in my toilet tank with the new "modern" Korky quiet fill valve and flapper. Everything works fine except the water does not refill in the tank unless I manually move the fill valve after flushing. Is there something I should be checking in order to have...

Toilet tank has new ballcock assembly, 2 months later makes hissing noise [ 7 Answers ]

Two months ago my toilet suddenly stopped flushing. I replaced the old ballcock and float assemply and water fill tube and it worked fine. Two months later it now makes a hissing noise that started today. I checked the flapper, it's OK, I checked the fill line, it's OK. There is not any water...

Refill problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have just had to replace the push flush on my toilet. That is now working fine but I am having problems with the refill, IT JUST Won't STOP. Any ideas how I can stop this.

Tank Refill [ 3 Answers ]

The toilet will flush but the tank does not fill with water afterwards.

Toilet will not refill [ 9 Answers ]

When you flush the toilet, the tank will not refill. Do we need to replace the part that is in there?

View more questions Search