Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rich123G Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Wiring diagram for rotary phone
    My 9 year old found an old bell model 554 rotary phone in my shop and insists I hook it up. Will it still work with the new phone lines we now have? What wires do I hook where from my house jack to make it work.

Thanks, Richard
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 08:24 PM

What colors are the wires coing off the phone? It will likely work but most likely will not be able to dial out
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 08:34 PM

This sticky has the wiring colors: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/landli...ed-484740.html

Rotary and Tone should work on lines to a central office.

VOIP services may have issues.

If this is 4 prong, you can buy 4 prong to modular adapters.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 08:35 PM

See http://www.porticus.org/bell/pdf/502-521-410.pdf or http://www.porticus.org/bell/pdf/c38.599.1.pdf for a schematic and info. Unless you have DSL, inside telephone connectivity and wiring has changed very little in the last 50 years.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 08:42 PM

DSL won't affect them.

The REN or Ringer Equlivelence Number should be 1 or so. Not so for modern phones.

Rotary vs Pulse dial support on a line. VOIP won't support pulse.
    Rich123G Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    What colors are the wires coing off the phone? It will likely work but most likely will not be able to dial out
    The phone doesn't have any wires coming out, it looks like it needs to be hardwired. It has some module with a dozen screw terminals with various wires connected, I'm sure that's where I need to connect my wires but don't know which screw terminals to connect to - screws are marked GN, B, R, RR, F, K, A, L1, L2,G.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 07:42 AM

R = red
    G = GREEN

jumpers probably OK unless used on party line.
    Donegan2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
    Rotary phone calls out, good dial tone but does not ring when called. What do I do?
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
    VOIP, Comcast Triple Play or some such nonsense?

I assume it once worked. What changed?
    What is the REN (Ringer equlivelence numbers) added together of all the phone devices? Take a standard rotary phone to be 1. > 2.5 to 3 things get iffy with VOIP. <5 is common for a land line.

Check to see what happens when the phone plugged directly into the NID (Network Interface Device) on the house. When it is called.

Issues can be:
    1) The phone itself
    2) Wiring past the NID
    3) Wiring before the NID

A standard phone should not be polarity sensitive. A standard rotary phone will be polarity sensitive for the generation of touch tones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotary switch wiring diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old rotary switch, unfortunately without a wiring diagram. It has four settings (off, low, med, hi), and four wiring poles. Contacts rotate at two levels and connect the poles as shown in the attached JPG. My question is how to wire this thing (I assume there are three incoming...

Rotary phone [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a new home, however my old rotary wall phone will not connect to the plate on the wall. The tabs are way too close on the plate. Does anyone know if they still make one that will fit this kind of phone?

Wiring an old rotary phone [ 4 Answers ]

I have old phones. I want to rewire them so I can plug them into my current jacks. Anyone know how and where I attaché the 4 wires that are in the new line?

Can DSL operate on a line with a Rotary Phone [ 5 Answers ]

In my newly purchased home, there is a functioning Rotary wall phone. When my DSL service was transferred to the new location, the DSL line does not work. The phone company said that the DSL service would not operate with a "powered phone". When I disconnect the Rotary phone, I lose dial tone at...

View more questions Search