Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Tips for concieving a girl also ovulation questions
    First I would just like to say that no matter what I conceive I will love him or her unconditionally and with that said the only reason I am asking is because my husband and I have 2 boys already and we have agreed to only have one more child.

I love my boys (who were not planned) but would like to make a conscious effort for a girl. We are not so serious about it that we are not enjoying the process.. we just want some fun tips or tricks that you might have heard along the way. I am currently on my last week of the patch and will start my period the following week(like clockwork) and after that no more birth control. So that is where I am at.

I was also wondering about ovulation. I doubt I will have time to take my temperature every morning but I would like to know how that works. Is it usually before your period, after your period? My body has been on the same cycle for a year... 3weeks on the patch(no period) then one week off( period). Is there something I should be doing right now?
    I heard when you are trying to conceive a girl you should have sex 3 days before you ovulate but I don't know when that is.

Again I love my boys and I am just curious so please no replys about being greedy.

Thanks a bunch!
    Mark Coeman Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Dec 16, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Try reading through this website

http://www.babyhopes.com/how-to-conceive-a-girl.html

Good luck...
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Mommy2gio,

Not very scientific but here is an old wives tale I once heard and I could say it worked for me but whose to say it wasn't just coincidence? Lol

After sex go to sleep on your left side for a boy and your right side for a girl.

Well you did say you were willing to have some fun with it.

Good luck.

I had a boy in 1970, a boy in 1972, and a girl in 1977.!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Wow, this is all very interesting. While I do believe in "wives tales" I have to give the medical facts.

There is no way to consciously conceive one sex or another. Boy do I wish there were, but according to medicine there is not. But, hey, give Rose's idea a try, you never know!!

As for ovulation it is usually around the 11 - 13 day after the first day of your period.

Good luck, and like Rose said HAVE FUN WITH IT!!
    Mark Coeman Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Dec 16, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2gio
    First I would just like to say that no matter what I concieve I will love him or her unconditionally and with that said the only reason I am asking is because my husband and I have 2 boys already and we have agreed to only have one more child.

I love my boys (who were not planned) but would like to make a consious effort for a girl. we are not so serious about it that we are not enjoying the process.. we just want some fun tips or tricks that you might have heard along the way. I am currently on my last week of the patch and will start my period the following week(like clockwork) and after that no more birth control. So that is where I am at.

I was also wondering about ovulation. I doubt I will have time to take my temperature every morning but I would like to know how that works. Is it usually before your period, after your period? My body has been on the same cycle for a year... 3weeks on the patch(no period) then one week off( period). Is there something I should be doing right now?
    I heard when you are trying to concieve a girl you should have sex 3 days before you ovulate but I don't know when that is.

Again I love my boys and I am just curious so please no replys about being greedy.

Thanks a bunch!
    That's right,
    Actually conception is not the time at witch gender is decided.
    In the womb we all start as female. (hence the nipples on men)
    Later on the presence or lack of male hormones will make the baby male or female.
    brinajane Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Oct 7, 2007, 05:43 AM
    First I would just like to say that no matter what I concieve I will love him or her unconditionally and with that said the only reason I am asking is because my husband and I have 2 boys already and we have agreed to only have one more child.

I love my boys (who were not planned) but would like to make a consious effort for a girl. we are not so serious about it that we are not enjoying the process.. we just want some fun tips or tricks that you might have heard along the way. I am currently on my last week of the patch and will start my period the following week(like clockwork) and after that no more birth control. So that is where I am at.

I heard when you are trying to concieve a girl you should have sex 3 days before you ovulate but I don't know when that is.

Thanks a bunch!
    Drink lots of alcohol the night u want to have sex to conceive as the alcohol is acid and the acid helps to prajuce girls, only eat food with acid in it as the alkaline kills of female sperm i have 3 boys and would love a baby girl and im trying this to help also don't have sex at least 3 days before u ovulate this will help too.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Now keep in mind, once you stop your current method of birth control, you will need to give it some time to get out of your system.

That being said...

Women typically ovulate 11-15 days after the start of their period. You could use this calendar to help you determine your window.
    American Pregnancy Association : Getting Pregnant: Ovulation Calendar
    You could also use ovulation predictor tests. Start testing during your window for ovualtion, once you get a positive result you should ovulate in the next 36 hours.

Now you mentioned BBT. It really doesn't teak much "time". All you do is keep a thermometer on your nightstand and a pad of paper. When you wake up, before doing ANYTHING else, take your temp and record it. You do this everyday... so it just becomes second nature. The reason for taking your BBT is that while ovulation kits tell you when you SHOULD ovulate... they don't tell you that you actually did. When you ovualte your body releases progesterone which is a heat-emitting hormone. This hormone causing your BBT to rise. So when you see a rise in your temp you are positive that you did in fact ovulate. Your BBT will remain high for about 11-15 days post ovualtion, then will drop and you will get your period. If it Doesn't"T drop...and by day 18 post ovulation, your temp is still high it is certain (unless you are sick with a fever) that you are pregnant and your temp will remain high throughout your pregnancy.

Now keep in mind, taking you BBT doesn't work alone, because if you only take your BBT by the time you notice the temp shift it is almost always too late because your egg starts to disinegrate around 12hours if unfertilized.

Now as far as trying to increase your chances of a girl....google "Shettles Method". It is the most popular guideline on choosing sex. In a nutshell...the "male" sperm are smaller, lighter and faster than the "female" sperm. But the female sperm aren't as fragile as the male sperm and tend to live longer. If you are wanting a girl, try to have sex as far away as possible from ovulation while still allowing conception. By the time you ovulate, most of the male sperm will have died, and only female will be left.
    But again, google "Shettles Method" to get more info :)

Good luck!
    brinajane Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Oct 7, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Coeman
    That's right,
    Actually conception is not the time at witch gender is decided.
    In the womb we all start out as female. (hence the nipples on men)
    Later on the presence or lack of male hormones will make the baby male or female.
    :eek:
    rainbow0406 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 01:07 AM
    They say this helps:
    1. diet - lots of seafood, brown bread, nuts and seeds and dairy produce. You want higher Mg and Ca levels and lower K and Na.

2. Sex before ovulation - the days leading up to it - easy if you have a regular cycle. Bascically test for the LH surge and when you get it stop having sex for the next 2 days! Hopefully the sperms in you leading up to ovulation will survive!

3. Missionary position!

4. Good luck.

By the way these are only suggestions and may not work. Some people just tend towards boys!
    mrspiet Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Oct 25, 2007, 05:56 AM

Thanks a bunch!
    Well apparently the males hormones are what determine the sex of your child, so I think you can try and listen to all the old wives tales that are out there but if you hubby is carry the girl genes then you will more likely have a girl but if he carries the boy gene then you will have a boy so unfortunately its left entirely up to your husbands what the sex of your baby will be...
    mariah22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 07:07 PM
    I want to ask this question I want to know I'm ytring to conceive and want to know when my next period is due on the 13th of dec. so when should I try to conceive . I'm taking the pills called one a day and wondering if that's works. I heard that eggs whites are very strong to sperm and was wondering what do you do with the egg whites please respond back asap
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mariah22 View Post
    i want to ask this question i want to know i'm ytring to conceive and want to know when my next period is due on the 13th of dec. so when should i try to conceive . i'm taking the pills called one a day and wondering if that's works. i heard that eggs whites are very strong to sperm and was wondering what do you do with the egg whites please respond back asap
    If I am not mistaken, One A Day are just multi-vitamins. They can't hurt - and might help. They really have little to do with conception and more to do with overall health.

Im not great at ovulation math but someone check me here - 11 days after your period is the theoretical beginning of ovulation. But its one of those quantity things, so about 8 days, start going at it as many times as he is capable of.

Egg whites? Maybe as part of your diet. So I would imagine they mean eat more eggs. :)
    eilamone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2009, 01:22 PM

Hi all I'm a mum of 3 fantastic boys and just wondering has anyone tried these methods and worked we are trying for our 4th and whether it's a girl or boy we don't mind but I would love a little girl
    meganbrown1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 04:44 PM

Im not sure if your question was answered on the ovulation part of it all sorry I can't help more but Im in the same boat. 2 boys and hoping for a girl trying to get a few tips! As for ovulation you want to to count the number of days between your periods each month so if its 26 days in jan 27 days in feb and 28 days in march then your average days between would be 27 days . So you count 27 days from the day you end your period and then count backwards 14 and that's when you should ovulate. So you have sex every other day for a week before that day! GL I'll be thinking pink!
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
    Thank you. We actually ended up with a baby girl who is now 3years old. She has more energy wrapped up in her than both of our older boys put together. We would have been happy with either sex but getting our girl was a bonus. We did practice timing during ovulation just for fun to see if it would work and drank a lot of orange juice (haha) but other than that we left it up to nature. We had fun trying! Thanks for your responses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ovulation [ 11 Answers ]

I can't seem to figure out when I ovulate.

Ovulation [ 1 Answers ]

Can you get pregnant if your not ovulating?

Late ovulation? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to your site and could really do with some advise. Have been trying for a baby for several months and I hoped that this month was the one. My last period was 22 Feb, I expected to ovulate sometime between 5th- 11th March as my cycle is normally 27-30 days. Imagine my shock this...

Ovulation [ 1 Answers ]

Is stress a big factor in delaying ovulation. My LMP is just November 11 '05.. when is the best time for intercourse? I'd like to get preggy. Thanks!

View more questions Search