Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kman333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Garage door bangs when opening
    My garage door bangs as it opens and is about one foot from the fully opened position. The springs appear to be intact and the roller channels are smooth. I cannot see any obstruction in it's travel along the chain and it's channel. Any suggestions?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2010, 11:31 AM

At what point of the travel does it bang?

Have someone operate the opener while u look. Watch for a very minute snag at rollers.

It could also be that door is going up a little crooked and binding on track.

Let us know how u make out.

Chuck
    kman333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    At what point of the travel does it bang?

Have someone operate the opener while u look. Watch for a very minute snag at rollers.

It could also be that door is going up a little crooked and binding on track.

Let us know how u make out.

Chuck
    Good suggestion. I found that the banging seems to be coming from one pair of panels. At first glance, it appears that their too tight at one point along their length. I'll try to adjust. Thanks for the tip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New construction Garage Door Opening [ 1 Answers ]

What is the right way to finish the garage door opening, before installing the garage door?

Garage door opening resizing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a single wooden garage door in my garage that is falling apart and would like to replace it for a new single steel garage door (with no motor). When I went to look for the same size garage door that I currently have I could not find it and had to buy one from Home Depot that is 7 inches...

Garage Door Opening [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single wooden garage door in my garage that is falling apart and would like to replace it for a new single steel garage door (with no motor). When I went to look for the same size garage door that I currently have I could not find it and had to buy one from Home Depot that is 7 inches...

Garage door is larger than opening [ 14 Answers ]

I had a garage moved and the opening is now smaller than the door by two feet. My fault entirely. I want to know if I can still install the garage door and just have the extra inside the garage. Will there be a problem? Thanks! Tim I feel like Tim the tool man!!

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search