Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeb9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Smell in basement
    Every now and then I get a spetic smell in my basement. It is really bad after heavy rains. I have well water and get my septoic system pumped annually. Any ideas on what may be causing this odor and what I can do to correct the problem? It doesn't smell all the time but when it does its pretty bad.

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 16, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Hey Joe,

. Smells and noises are the most difficult to track down if you're not there.
    While we can't pinpoint the source we can point you to the most likely offenders. Check the floor drain traps to see if they have water in them. Any "gurgles" or "bubbles" that you know of? Regards, Tom
    joeb9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Hey Tom,

That's what someone else recommended so I ran water into the drains to make sure they had water. I have not heard of any gurgling or bubbles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped. We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul...

Septic smell in basement [ 7 Answers ]

I've been reading many Q&As bbout septic smells and none seem to fit our problem. This house has a 4 year old system with a pump in a chamber in the ground. It was pumped 6 months ago, there are only two of us living here, no unused drains (dry trap), and no basement drains. The smell seems to come...

Basement Bathroom Smell [ 3 Answers ]

We have a bathroom in our basement and after heavy use (we had 15 people in the house over Thanksgiving), both in this bathroom and the others( 2 full on 2nd floor and a powder room on the 1st), there is a very bad smell in the basement bathroom. We have septic, which is somewhat overbuilt (2 1200...

Please help - source of smell in basement? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this board and would appreciate your help. We have had a bad sewer smell come and go from our basement - and the smell comes up into the rest of the house. We use the bathroom down there daily, so it's not a case of dried up p-traps, or whatever, and the smell is not in the...

Basement Shower Smell [ 3 Answers ]

This sounds like a lot of your previous questions but none of the scenarios match up. I have a shower in the basement of my 1928 house. I bad smell is coming from the drain. It looks like the drain doesn't match up with the 3-4" cast iron floor pipe and they used concrete to direct the water over...

View more questions Search