Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    credance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Deceased person's debt liability
    In the case of The Dept of Work & pensions recovering overpayment of state benefits from a deceased person's estate. Is there an amount of money which is exempted (overlooked) or can All of the estate be taken into account?
    e.g. If the amount overpaid was £20,00 and the deceased left only £20,000, could the executor of the will be made to repay all of the £20,000 ?
    If so, who pays for the funeral, memorial stone, outstanding utility bills etc.
    I guess the same Question would apply with a debt to Dept of Inland Revenue
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 10:20 AM

In the UK (I would presume)?
    credance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
    Yes, UK. Can't find any info on Gvt Dept websites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The right to see a deceased person's will [ 2 Answers ]

My second cousin recently left some family member small financial bequests in her will. She also left jewellery to two of the female relations. Today I phoned the lawyer dealing with this as the jewellery has never turned up. He said he didn't know how he was going to get it to us. He...

Deceased person's signature was forged [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of criminal charges can I file against a couple who has forged the signature of our dead aunt in order to have the papers for the house and lot transferred to their name? I have obtained a copy of the alleged legal deed of sale. The "sale" was done March 2006 but our aunt died November...

Tax lien on a deceased person's ESOP [ 3 Answers ]

My husband died 5 years ago. At that time, his employer did a year's due diligence before releasing the first of 5 annual dispursements to me from his ESOP plan. I have since received 3 dispursements. I have just become aware that my late husband had federal tax liens from 2001 and 2002 . (we were...

Am I responsible for deceased mother in laws tax liability [ 2 Answers ]

My mother in law passed away in oct then my husband who I was separated from passed away a month later. She cashed in 2 annuitys and put them in both of their names before passing away 150,000 total am I responsible to pay her income taxes?

Reclamation for Deceased Person's Checking Acct. [ 1 Answers ]

Here's my story: My father passed away August 30, 2007. He had no life insurance, no assets except for a checking account. Of his five children, I was the only one that showed up to claim his body from the hospital. I had to deal with the burial arrangements alone. He was living with a woman...

View more questions Search