Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angiecola Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Hair loss in my cat
    My car has hairloss on his tail and right between his shoulder blades. He is constantly licking or scratching. I used advantage and he was good then we got tight on money and bought store brand flea medicine now he got worse. What can I do to make him feel better?:confused:
    heathervettechCa Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Dec 19, 2006, 02:09 AM
    Whatever you do NEVER use store bought flea preventative, it causes seizures and often death in cats. First, is your cat indoor only? Second have you had a vet look at the spot on the back that is losing hair? When did this fiorst happen before or after you started putting flea preventative there. Do you vaccinate your cat annually? Vaccines can also cause hirloss in the area of the injection. If money is tight (trust me I understand) using baking soda can temporarily help but long term is a poor idea. Keeping your cat indoors only is the best flea preventative as long as your indoor area isn't infested, in which case, treat the indoor area and then don't let your cat outside.
    Let me know if you have more questions!
    Good luck!
    Heather
    holz1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Another reason for hairloss in most animals is stress or skin irritations. I would defo see your vet.
    animal advocate Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 12:51 AM
    If the symptoms disappeared when you used Advantage then it is probably a flea allergy. If they got worse when you used Advantage it could be a reaction to the medication. I agree that using these flea remedies can be dangerous but I have many cats and have not been able to find a holistic way to treat fleas efficiently. I have found that Advantage seems to be the least dangerous.

Having said that, if you have the time and the money, there is a product called Flea Busters that is Ortho Boric Acid and can be applied to your carpets and lasts up to a year. It is completely safe and all it does is dehydrates the fleas and they die. So they don't build up a tolerance to it. I however have hardwood floors so I can't use it.

If you are really broke try cutting up two lemons, pour boiling water over them and let them sit all night. The next day put the water in a spray bottle and spray your cat with it. Dr Pitcairn says it works to repel fleas but I haven't had much luck with it.

Hope this helps.

For all animals,
    Molly
    heathervettechCa Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Dec 21, 2006, 03:31 AM
    If he is losing hair in more than one place it could also be fungal. I recommend seeing your vet, they also have care credit for pet care 6-12 months same as cash. Consider this so you can get to the bottom of this.
    Good luck
    Heather

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair loss due to hair dye [ 14 Answers ]

I feel sooo terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or...

Hair loss [ 4 Answers ]

My hair has been getting much thinner over the past two years, and now I can really see a difference. I am only 16 years old which I think is way to early to start having hair loss problems! I've noticed that my hair line is receding, and I have some dandruff problems too, which may have something...

Cat hair loss [ 2 Answers ]

There is a friendly homeless cat that we have been feeding and looking after. He must live outside mostly, I don't think he has a home. He has some hair loss on his back and up the bottom of his tail. His skin underneath the hair loss is somewhat pink. Any ideas what it could be? Any suggestions...

Cat hair loss [ 6 Answers ]

Our spayed female cat is 7 years old. She has a few patches on her abdomen, one being on her lower abdomen, and the other on one side of her middle abdomen. She has hair loss in these areas, and I am not sure why. The lower one is a large area, and the upper one not quite as large. She has been to...

Cat hair loss [ 3 Answers ]

One of my cats is always licking her stomach and she has lost a lot of fur near her tail. The vet says this is caused by stress, but she doesn't seem very nervous. How can I stop her from licking herself excessively?

View more questions Search