Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgdidit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date
    I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the debt with them? Can I set up a payment arrangement with the attorney's office? What will happen if I set up an arrangement but don't show up for court? Will they garnish wages even if I'm on a payment plan? Will they even be willing to accept a payment plan? I'M SCARED... PLEASE HELP ME!!
    Yaro Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Sdidit Don't Be Scared first of all I have been through this 1. Biggest mistake is not showing
    up for a court date go to the courthouse and show them your travel plans and get your
    court date changed it could take half a day to do this. 2. All those summons and official
    looking letters are meant to scare the @#^^$$ but all they are saying is that because
    you did not pay on time they are suing you No Big Deal go in front of the judge and
    just explain to him your position on why you were not able to pay could be a number
    of reasons job, school, outrageous fees finance charges mistakes in billing etc etc
    3. Always remember that the courts and the Judge are their to give impartial dispute
    resolutions meaning even if they give a decision that's not in your favor you can
    always file an appeal having said that I would say that go to court on the date they
    asked you to the representative from Amex would prob want (100%) to settle with
    you outside the courtroom negotiate with him if you feel its not fair then go in front
    of the judge. Also if your not feeling well stressed out because of the ridiculous letters
    from them then you could take a doctors note to have your date changed.
    Good Luck

P.S In my case I was able to get 60% of the amount they were asking reduced ;)
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Call the court to make sure it is a real summons. If so, file motion to dismiss improper service, lack of jurisdiction, lack of personla jurisdiction, failure to state claim upon which relief may be grant.

Tape it to a door is not proper service upon the defendant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 05:13 PM
    In many states a summoms is legally served if it is left on your door,
    And as mr yet mentioned you can ask for it to be dismissed if the service was not proper, if that court does not have jurisdiction and so on, but most service is legal and most courts that issue them have legal jurisdiction, and it does not make the court really extra happy for people to try and get a summons dismissed for false claims, so if you have legal claims to do so, then fine, if not, either go to the court house and get them to arrange a new court date if possible, or change your plans and be in court.

If they get that judgement, they can attach all of your bank accounts, they can garnish your wages and more.

Of course if you have the money in the bank, go down to the attorneys office and just pay them. If not arrange to be in court.
    tanyaradzwa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 10:16 PM
    I have been receiving a lot of letters from attorneys regarding a credit card debt, I recently receive a letter from the sheriff with a twenty day notice to respond to. The amount claimed on the letter is far too high than the amount that I owed. I wanted to dispute this claim by asking the court to dismiss the case that I don't owe such amount to the credit card company. Please give me your advise.
    tonuab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 09:05 AM
    In my experience, I have found that it is possible to settle out of court without having to appear in court. There should be a number on the summons where you can contact the petitioner to settle. You should do this as soon as possible to prevent a need to go to court. When you contact the petitioner, make sure you ask them to dismiss the case, confirm you will not need to appear in court, and request a copy of the court dismissal for your records. This is critical in case there's any mistakes on the court dockets.

This is what I did for a recent court summons (in the state of Michigan) to pay a delinquent bill. I knew that I owed the amount and didn't have a valid dispute. I contacted the petitioner, paid the bill, and they sent me a copy of the court dismissal. I never had to appear in court, and I never had to pay additional court costs.
    mlr08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2008, 10:34 PM

There's a great article you should read at Served a Summons Or Credit Card Debt Lawsuit - Don't Call the Creditor!

It will give you a good idea of your options and what NOT to do!
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Dec 22, 2010, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet View Post
    Call the court to make sure it is a real summons. If so, file motion to dismiss improper service, lack of jurisdiction, lack of personla jurisdiction, failure to state claim upon which relief may be grant.

Tape it to a door is not proper service upon the defendant.
    There are certain types of cases that require what's called "in hand" service, but most civil cases only require "last usual place of abode" service (this will of course depend on the jurisdiction).

That said, your advice is otherwise decent, the various motions would be appropriate if you are going to fight the suit. If you are willing to settle, they still might be helpful in negotiating the amount or the terms with the attorney.

On another note, the rules regarding lending and credit cards are extremely complicated. I would really advise contacting a lawyer that specializes in this type of thing, they could help you in huge ways. The possibilities are you could pay the straight 5K or AMEX could add reasonable legal fees which could double the amount you owe, plus interest. Another possibility is that they violated your states collection practices or consumer protection laws, which could prevent them from collecting anything.

Find a credit attorney, tell him/her how much you can afford to pay them and they will do it or not. If you absolutely can not get a lawyer, go to court ask for a continuance to prepare and spend a lot of time in the law library at the court.
    kemamdee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
    I have received a summons to go to court, because I did not pay my city financial bill , how to deal with this problem , take a leagl aid lawyrer?
    Jeca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
    I have not received a summons but somebody called me with the county I live in and my last four SS number claiming to be a detective. They called once and left a voice mail what should I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons to appear in court [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have received a summons to appear in court, this is for an outstanding credit card debt that is around 4 years old. I have tried to find out what the statute of limitations are in Colordo is, but am getting conflicting answers. Please help, and if possible, some examples I can site.

Court very soon [ 5 Answers ]

hi I am soon going to court for my divorce and custody for my 9 year old daughter, who wants to live with me,me and my soon to be x husband will be separated 10 mo in a few days yes I left the home and went to my moms down the road which I thought was only for a night to get some rest but of course...

Going to court again [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord raised my rent 200.00 I was paying 1200.00 a month I am sick with a chronic disease and my son lives with me , I have lived here for 4 year and every year before he has raised my rent 25.00. He has had me to court 4-5 times for late rent ( I always paid within the month it was due) he...

Going to Court [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question, I am going to court for a debt with a law office regarding a credit card that I have been paying since last July. I have sent letters to the law office stating that I owe the debt and that I intend to pay it and have been paying each month. They wanted a certain amount I did...

Summons received for old credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

My mother who is 75 years old just received a summons from a constable to appear in court for a credit card with National City that she had between 1998 and 2000. She said she never received any bills from them concerning this. The amount due is $2500. The summons also states that she was...

View more questions Search