Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdferg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2010, 10:25 AM
    How do I wire two new ceiling fans to replace two existing light fixtures?
    In a bedroom I have two light fixtures that operate off one wall switch. I want to replace these existing fixtures with two new ceiling fans with lights. I am assuming I will need a new type wall switch. What will be the wiring sequence I need to consider?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 11:39 AM

Not much really. The wall switch will turn everything on or off.

Unless it was pre-wire specifically for fans you will not be able to control anything separately, except for using the pull chains.

Jul 17, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Since I have attic access to the existing light fixtures and to where the wire comes up from the wall switch to the fixtures, can I re-wire for the new ceiling fans?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 06:46 PM

If that is the case of course you can. It all depends on how you want to control them. Lights and fans, together or separate.

Jul 17, 2010, 07:44 PM

Great! I want to control the lights with one switch and the fans with the other. I just need to know what the wiring sequence should be.
    The line coming into the existing switch right now has a black, white, red and ground.
    I would really appreciate some help. Thank you!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 01:23 PM

In that case, all you need to do is run wire between the two ceiling boxes. Most likely 14/3.

Tell us what wires you have in each box.

Jul 24, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Coming to the switch box is 14/3. From the switch to the existing ceiling fixtures is 14/2. I'm thinking I will need to replace the 14/2 from the switch box to the first existing light with 14/3. Correct?
    I'm thinking I will needthe extra "hot" to accommodate the new ceiling fans that will have light kits.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:09 PM

Correct. You will also need 14/3 between the two fans.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 11:14 AM

Check the ceiling boxes prior to hanging a fan. Older light boxes are not rated to support a fan. Unless they are marked "FAN " or FAN rated, you need to change them for a fan rated box. Since you have attic access, this is an easy job. Be safe!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 03:21 PM

Great point Ma0641!

I'd recommend an adjustable ceiling fan support like in the picture below... available at all home supply stores. These supports span the joist bay and carry the weight of the fan... the electrical box can be slid on the support to align with the existing hole in the ceiling.

I also attached an image of a box like Ma0641 was talking about... see image.

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of wire do I use to connect an existing light to 2 new lights in my ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add 2 new lights to an existing light in my kitchen ceiling. What kind of wire do I use and how do I connect them? Hook black to black, white to white?

Adding new light fixtures to existing switch [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to add 3 pendant lights to the same switch as a light in the room. The power source runs to the light first, then to the switch. I tapped into the wire from the switch to the light. I connected whites to whites, blacks to blacks, and grounds to grounds. Now the pre-existing light...

Putting up fans and light fixtures [ 3 Answers ]

You need to know what? You should only need a licensed electrician to install the lights and fans. It would be real handy to know what type and style the customer wants installed.

Can I splice off 1 wire to create 2 separate wire connections for 2 ceiling fans [ 10 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing 2 ceiling fan, 1 in each of 2 bedrooms. There's no electrical on the ceilings and need to come down from the attic. The attic has several different white plastic contained wires running throughout the attic. I'm wondering if I should splice from 2 separate sources, or...

Changing out light fixtures on ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a wobbly light fixture. How do I change it out? Thanks, Jerry

View more questions Search