Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    92lude Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 10:36 AM
    92 prelude cranks but won't start
    My 1992 honda prelude si 5 speed cranks up but will not start. The fuel system seems to be in working order... I can hear the fuel pump running and at least one click from the main relay as well as smell gas from the exhaust. There is no spark from the coil to the distributor, however. I checked for error codes and there were none and the check engine light goes on and off normally. I have not checked the maps sensor or the ecu yet, but I suspect this may be the root of my problem, especially because when I lifted the carpet to access the ecu, I found quite a bit of dampness and mustiness underneath, apparently there's a small leak somewhere. However, if the maps sensor of ecu were the problem, wouldn't the check engine light stay on and the fuel system not be working? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 11:56 AM
    The cause of the problem is likely a bad igniter. While you have the distributor apart, also replace the coil, rotor, and distributor cap, due to the age of your Prelude. Read the following FAQ Stickies:

A. Honda Civic Basic Ignition System Troubleshooting and Engine Control Module (ECM) Test
    N. Honda Civic Ignition System Troubleshooting (Continued)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ons-46563.html

Dec 16, 2006, 12:12 PM
    That is possible... wouldn't there be spark from the coil then though?
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Not if the igniter is bad. Remember to apply silicone grease to the back of the igniter, upon installation. Ensure all female connectors to the igniter are tight. Autozone and O'Reilly Auto will test igniters and coils for free. Let me know if this solves the problem.

Jan 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Hey -

I just wanted to thank you for your extremely helpful advice... the problem was indeed the igniter. I rebuilt the distributor, popped it back in and it started right up. Thanks again for setting me straight.
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Thanks for the update! Good to hear that your Prelude is running again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 civic engine cranks but it won't start! [ 104 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92 civic dx manual with 188k miles My son drove it to School had it towed home. The engine cranks over but it won’t start. I’m not getting fuel over to the fuel rail. I have no pressure. I got no problem codes. Check engine light never came on.

Briggs & Stratton cranks but does not start [ 11 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yard Machine powered by a B&S 12.5 hp code 9311064E type 0154-01. The engine cranks slowly and in spurts approximating the four cycles. When I remove the spark plug the engine spins normally. I had the battery checked at a battery shop and it was pronounced fine after a load test. A...

89 Honda Prelude S non-FI 5spd [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I need help with my Honda. Spark Plugs are the issue. What brand/size of Spark Plug is the best (across the board) for my car? NGK?

Pulled Fuse on '97 Prelude Now Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My radio and power to the cigarette lighter died while I was driving. I pulled over and started checking the fuses unfortunately with the vehicle running. When I pulled the fuse under the dash marked ACC the car quit running. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I just figured that after I...

View more questions Search