Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbaconsurf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2010, 07:20 AM
    Can a receptacle ground be attached to white nuetral terminal for ground?
    I have older house. The receptacle showed "open ground." I connected a wire from the green ground terminal to the nuetral terminal, and the meter read "correct." I left it that way because everything worked. Is it safe?
    MathMadMan Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Jul 16, 2010, 07:51 AM
    No it's not safe. Despite both the ground and neutral wire being terminated together in the fuse box/breaker panel, the neutral does carry current and a break in that wire between the box and the receptacle will cause all grounded parts of your appliance to be energized. Remove the wire from the ground lug and put a "No Ground" sticker on that plug. Better yet, consider using a GFCI plug there. It will detect differences between the current going in the hot wire and back the neutral wire and break the circuit if there's a difference (e.g, running through a knife blade into you child).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On 24 volt transformer which terminal is ground? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing the control on my furnace. The new control has two extra terminals marked 24V and 24V GND . I looked at the Transformer(load side) which has a black wire under the screw marked 12VA and the white wire under the screw marked 24 Volt. Are either of these wires 24V GND?

Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached [ 3 Answers ]

Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached to plastic pipe under the house, or does the pipe have to be in the ground ?

Correct method to RUN copper ground wire to ground a 200 amp electrical circuit box? [ 0 Answers ]

Is a 3-wire copper ground or a solid copper wire required to ground a 200 amp electrical box? Is this wireing correct: A 3-wire copper ground wire in a conduit run from the electrical panel to the copper rod in the ground then to the cold water; AND THEN IN THE GARAGE the naked 3-wire...

Nec-covering of ground wire from the ground rod to the water pipecables [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new service meter panel and ground rod. The ground rod is connected to the meter panel via a #4 copper wire to a water pipe located 10 feet away. Is is allowable to bury the #4 wire between the ground rod and water pipe to keep it from being a trip hazard and protect the wire? ...

Do you install a 120v 15 or 20 amp receptacle ground up or ground down? [ 15 Answers ]

Does the code have any stipulations on ground up or ground down? If so Prove it. An I am not talking about local ordinances nor the authority having jurisdiction. Simply the NEC.

View more questions Search