Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 06:20 PM
    To all our gone but never forgotton furry,feathered or scaly friends.
    Some one suggested that we start a thread for out lost pets. So here's a place to come to read and let out your thoughts for those who have left us.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...

Author unknown...
    Dogs Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 06:22 PM

I'm not much for words in these situations, so I'll just say rest in peace my beloved pets. I hope to meet again. Not a day passes that I don't think of you. You'll always be in my heart.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 06:39 PM

To Jasper... our beloved Siamese I know you're there and I'm sorry you can't be here. I still have your catnip toys and I don't let the other two cats that we have now play with them. You were with us almost eleven years and now you are in a better place.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2010, 04:52 AM
    Upon reading the poem(post) I got very emotional.There isn't any emocons for tears so you'll just have to picture a 245lb man with salt-n-pepper hair tearing up over a bunch of words.

Lakota was my first 'solo' pet.He was a gift from friends I counseled in drug addiction.

A Norwegian Elk Hound, with the salt-n-pepper hair I have.. just a few more streaks of solid where mine is through and through.. :)

I received his life when my daughter first moved in with me,it was a time when I needed him,and her,and freedom, many things culminated to that central point.

In the years he was with me,I went through many changes,many heartaches,many difficult times,but he was my rock,always there to give me that shoulder to lean on,to be my companion when I would be without.We spent almost all my time away from work together.

A few years ago he followed me out the road,I didn't do my morning greeting to him,I selfishly was in a rush,neglecting his need to be addressed.At 5 AM there isn't really a whole lot of traffic out here in the boonies,there isn't at 5 PM either, but this morning there happened to be a truck passing the other way, just as Lakota crossed the road behind me,the truck struck.:(, I had no idea:(

I was on the job,feeling bad about something, perhaps I knew already.I got a call from my father,he had come by to perhaps see Lakota,and couldn't find him(That alone was a scare), eventually he was found beside the road..

I was in total denial,like a robot,I wrapped him in a sheet,took him to the old property where he grew up and buried him at his favorite play place, a watering hole at the very edge of the property.I spread his toys around in hopes his spirit would find comfort in the familiar.Then I broke.

It took a while for me to leave,me,not being religious,still made him a cross and hung his tags for a marker.

If there is a rainbow bridge,a place he is waiting for me to return to him, I sure hope there is.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Upon reading the poem(post) I got very emotional.There isn't any emocons for tears so you'll just have to picture a 245lb man with salt-n-pepper hair tearing up over a bunch of words.

Lakota was my first 'solo' pet.He was a gift from friends I counseled in drug addiction.

A Norwegian Elk Hound,,with the salt-n-pepper hair I have..just a few more streaks of solid where mine is through and through..:)

I received his life when my daughter first moved in with me,it was a time when I needed him,and her,and freedom,,many things culminated to that central point.

In the years he was with me,I went through many changes,many heartaches,many difficult times,but he was my rock,always there to give me that shoulder to lean on,to be my companion when I would be without.We spent almost all my time away from work together.

A few years ago he followed me out the road,I didn't do my morning greeting to him,I selfishly was in a rush,neglecting his need to be addressed.At 5 AM there isn't really a whole lot of traffic out here in the boonies,there isn't at 5 PM either,,but this morning there happened to be a truck passing the other way,,just as Lakota crossed the road behind me,the truck struck.:(,,I had no idea:(

I was on the job,feeling bad about something,,perhaps I knew already.I got a call from my father,he had come by to perhaps see Lakota,and couldn't find him(That alone was a scare),,eventually he was found beside the road..

I was in total denial,like a robot,I wrapped him in a sheet,took him to the old property where he grew up and buried him at his favorite play place,,a watering hole at the very edge of the property.I spread his toys around in hopes his spirit would find comfort in the familiar.Then I broke.

It took a while for me to leave,me,not being religious,still made him a cross and hung his tags for a marker.

If there is a rainbow bridge,a place he is waiting for me to return to him,,I sure hope there is.
    I am sorry Ken, what you wrote is beautiful, thank you very much.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 08:27 PM

About a month ago the dog my Dad took in and took care of was diagnosed with lung cancer. We though we would have to have her put to sleep the next day.

The vet gave her lasix and some pain medicine because she knew she would have to have it soon.

My sisters and I know now the pain has started so it's time. We will take her on Tuesday to say our goodbyes and we will be with her.

The only consolation is knowing she will be with my Dad and I know a lot of people don't believe this, but I don't think it would be Heaven if we couldn't have our little pets there.

I can see my Dads face when he sees her and it makes me know it will not be the last time I see her.
    Ken... beautiful post
    Dogs Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post

A Norwegian Elk Hound,,with the salt-n-pepper hair I have..just a few more streaks of solid where mine is through and through..:)

I received his life when my daughter first moved in with me,it was a time when I needed him,and her,and freedom,,many things culminated to that central point.

A few years ago he followed me out the road,I didn't do my morning greeting to him,I selfishly was in a rush,neglecting his need to be addressed.At 5 AM there isn't really a whole lot of traffic out here in the boonies,there isn't at 5 PM either,,but this morning there happened to be a truck passing the other way,,just as Lakota crossed the road behind me,the truck struck.:(,,I had no idea:(

I was on the job,feeling bad about something,,perhaps I knew already.I got a call from my father,he had come by to perhaps see Lakota,and couldn't find him(That alone was a scare),,eventually he was found beside the road..

I was in total denial,like a robot,I wrapped him in a sheet,took him to the old property where he grew up and buried him at his favorite play place,,a watering hole at the very edge of the property.I spread his toys around in hopes his spirit would find comfort in the familiar.Then I broke.

If there is a rainbow bridge,a place he is waiting for me to return to him,,I sure hope there is.

{{{HUGS}}}
    Ken, I am bawling my eyes out! I am so sorry for your loss.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 05:27 AM

Beautiful idea for a thread Bella.

We have lost a few friends over the years, but the two that hold special places in my heart were Orion and Elliott.
    Elliott was my special little man, he was such an odd-ball. I used to show him rain, hail or shine and he used to love every minute of it.
    Orion was technically my dads dog, but he was one of our first Great Danes and was just special in his own way.

They both lived to the age of 10, before having to be PTS, one for liver failure, the other, a heart condition.

I did these 2 pictures of them, it was really comforting in some way just sitting there staring at the photos drawing them.
    The Great Dane (Orion) I did for my mum about a year ago, the one of Elliott I did for myself when I was about 16.
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 07:03 AM

Amazing pictures Shaz.

I can't take all the credit for the thread. Red proposed the idea. :)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2010, 06:14 AM

Proposing and putting into action are totally different,it takes someone special to give heart to this kind of thread.

I guess for us as a family we have had are share of pets.

3 stand out for me.

An evil cat who we all adored.

A group of kids came to the house one day 'selling' kittens,my eldest at that time was 18 months,when she clapped eyes on the kitten she started babbling 'doodle doodle doodle' that's how the cat got her name.

She grew up to be a huge she cat with an evil sense of humour.

We would sit out on a summers evening,just shooting the breeze,talking and laughing and out of the sky (the trees above the seating area) doodle would pounce upon an innocent target,in killer mode I might add.

She lived until she was 16 years of age,god only knows where she is now,I doubt very much its in the rainbow bridge,more likely she's guarding the gates of hell.

Still loved that cat though.

Second was 'sam' a lab with a heart of gold,always seemed to be old even when he was a pup lived to be 17 and died peacefully,when he died he took many of my secrets with him,I cried for my old man for months.

Still miss him.

3rd,was a sociable jack russel called seamie,he was my youngest daughters dog,he was her playmate,her pillow and her protector.

He adored her and she him.

When she died,seamie pined into a shadow of his former self.
    He lost his love of life and it took months of care to bring out the lovable tearaway.

He got killed on the road,my fault.
    No bones about it.

When he died and before we buried him I asked aisling to come for him,I knew she would and it gives me great comfort to think their both together again.

She with her dog and him with his great love.

As it should be.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 06:22 AM

Red, that's beautiful. And now people are looking at me like I am bizarre because I am bawling my eyes out.

{{hugs}}
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2010, 06:27 AM

He was never the same after she died,I gave him one of her blankets to sleep on,he would drag it where ever he wanted to lie down.

He was so sad,and I much as I loved and adored aisling,he did too.

We grieved together,and often in the dead of night I cried into his little head.

Losing him was like losing aisling again.

He was a great little dog.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 06:31 AM

Red, I can't express how sorry I am for your loss. Both of them. No words can express my sympathies. But know, from the very bottom of my heart, I am sorry.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 07:29 AM

I can't even read through these... tears spring up just thinking about it... I miss my babies, so faithful, loving, and fun, and I dread the time when the others pass on.

Many blessings for all of you!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 29, 2010, 07:30 AM

You guys made me cry.

I hope to have MANY long, happy years with my babies. When they leave me, I know I'll be a mess. If I'm lucky, I'll be a cat in the next life and we ca all lounge together in the sun and chase toys and toes and each other.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 4, 2011, 04:42 AM

I know I have posted this on other threads, but just thought I would bring this one back to life. Rest easy my boy, fly free.

Portrait done by Shazamataz.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2011, 05:06 AM

Shaz certainly has a talent for bringing a pets personality to life on paper.

Beautiful dog and drawing.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2011, 11:13 AM

And the hard copy WILL get to you Bella, sorry it's taken me so long, I haven't reposted it yet :o
    It looks better in real life than taken with my crappy camera.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 4, 2011, 11:19 AM

I will wait patiently! We had a postal strike, so we weren't getting mail for a few weeks anyway.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2011, 11:58 AM

I have never been able to finish reading 'Rainbow Bridge' even though it has been posted on here many times.

I thought this time would be different. BOY was I wrong!:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White furry stuff on concrete floors [ 2 Answers ]

Last Friday, we pulled up our hard wood floors because they buckled, we know we have a drainage problem and Also last Friday they starting digging the trenches for the drainage around our property. I noticed on Saturday that there is white fuzzy stuff popping up on the slab. I sprayed with...

Forgotton Birthday [ 1 Answers ]

I forgot my friends birthday. How do I find out when it is without letting them know I forgot it?

Scaly Neck Rash [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a rash type condition on my neck and chest that resembles a sunburn off and on for the past 2 or 3 years. I had not worried about it because it was just dry, ruff, skin. But now it is scaly, red, blotchy, and ruff. It abrubtly stops where a tank-top would. I put aloe-vera on it the other...

View more questions Search