Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gandztyler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
    My friends husband cosign for a apartment and she use her first name and my friends s
    My friends husband use as a cosigner for a apt lease without her knowledge and they use another name with the husband last name and thet want to get out of the lease what is the procedure to go tru this the landlord said that the husband can be out off the lease if the other tenant will find another cosigner is that true? Help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 01:44 PM

If the parties signed names which are not theirs to a legal document - in this case a lease, which is a contract - they have committed an illegal, criminal act.

I don't know what "cut off the lease" means.

Do they want to get out of the lease? The landlord has the right to sue them for the entire cost of the entire lease - when I say "them" I mean the people who did sign.

And, again, landlord could go to the Police with this. It is identity theft, an attempt to avoid rent and several other things, depending on the State.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment Cosign [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago, I cosigned an apartment contract for a couple who moved to New Jersey out of state. Since then, they renewed the annual contract twice without notifying me. Also, the rental office hasn't notified me. My intention was to help them settle down in their new place, but not to continue...

View more questions Search