Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldnugget Posts: 99, Reputation: 9

Dec 16, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Does anyone ever worry that their advice may be wrong or too blunt?
    Hi all :)

I have to say that I love this site and the advice and help that it offers to others. I have personally been helped tremendously by many of you.

I just had a thought though that some responses might actually be quite damaging to some people in crisis. I realise that it's probably not too common but I imagine that some people may come here as a last resort or have no one else to talk to. Does anyone ever worry that their comments might push someone who is in crisis 'over the edge' or leave them feeling helpless?

I think that most of the advice given here is fantastic but I am wondering about the few occasions when the odd 'brash' comment may affect someone in a way that is not expected. After all, we get a brief outline of their problem but don't really know what is going on in their head and just how helpless they feel.
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 05:06 AM
    Good Question,

I think we have to be careful with the advice we give. The advice or response must be truthful based on the facts given otherwise the response would be pointless but at the same time we must be sensitive to the person's situation.

There have been times since I joined where I have posted a response and then immediately deleted it and reworded things in a way which are not so blunt yet still truthful. Sometimes its not that you want to come across as harsh or uncaring, its just a matter of getting the wording right.

It is true that there are people who come here who have nowhere else to turn to. I will actually say that personally, I cannot any longer talk much to my friends and family about my break-up with my ex 3 1/2 months ago even though I still have the pain. Basically the people around me have got fed up with talking about it and to be quite honest, I don't blame them. My family resent my ex for what she did and therefore try to avoid any conversations about her. Sometimes I need to talk about it though and when I come her, there are so many deep, caring, understanding and wise people to talk to who do not turn their backs and will offer the best advice the can which is truthful.

I think it is also good that people come here for help because in the real world, friends and family may tel you what you want to hear just to keep you quiet whereas on this website, people tell you how it really is.

I hope this answers the question.:)

Dec 16, 2006, 05:24 AM
    I agree with you geoff that often family and friends don't want to hurt someone by telling them the truth. I think though that sometimes some 'brash' comments are made without realising that this site may be the last help for someone who is in a desperate and (in their eyes) a last ditch situation
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldnugget
    i agree with you geoff that often family and friends don't want to hurt someone by telling them the truth. i think though that sometimes some 'brash' comments are made without realising that this site may be the last help for someone who is in a desperate and (in their eyes) a last ditch situation
    Very true gold...

I think it is important to really take the time to understand where a poster is at emotionally by responding by first perhaps questioning if you are unsure where they are it.

Depending on the way they respond, this can be a good indicator of where they are emotionally and how sensitive the response needs to be whilst maintaining a truthful and meaningful response.

Are you referring to a specific example you have come across or is this just a general thought?

Dec 16, 2006, 05:40 AM
    Just a general thought geoff. I often read a lot of posts and their responses without responding myself. On the few occasions where I have felt that someone's feelings have been minimised, or where I feel that I can genuinely help, I have responded. The main reason for my post is that I read a post that was complaining about so many 'similar' posts regarding relationship issues and how this was 'annoying' to the readers and led to 'blunt' and sometimes insensitive responses. I was just hoping to bring to light that people in crisis do not often have the 'frame of mind' to search similar help questions
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 05:54 AM
    I think I know which responses you are referring to Goldnugget. I have seen some insensitive responses on here and seen responses that have reacted to them. I don't really believe that the person who posted these responses intentionally went out of their way to hurt the poster. I really think that in certain cases, the truth hurts and therefore this is why someone reacts. I do also think that some people use wording that is not as tactful as it could be.

I agree that nothing too personal or any abuse has no place here on AMHD.. These are real people who post here and require compassion and understanding. I always bear this in mind before I respond..

We are talking to real human beings with real pain that need real help.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 05:55 AM
    As I remember, the post was in reference to a members discussion topic, he was venting, because he was frustrated, because he was tired, but we have a fairly wide range of people here, and yes some can be more blunt than others, but it does offer a good mix when responding. Some come here for their own reasons also, and not so much for advice, but to validate their own actions be they right or wrong, and it is hard to contain yourself from letting emotions show some times, but you are right we should try at least to be civil with our criticism. Sometimes the truth hurts though.

Dec 16, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Totally agree with you both tal and geoff and also agree that most advice is good to excellent. Just some food for thought for people who respond in a fashion that is insensitive because you never really know. Also, with some people, depending on their frame of mind, the truth might not be so good at that given time. I think that sometimes we should always recommend that people go and see a counsellor without giving them 'the truth'. I know I sometimes see people saying that people post here and never come back... perhaps they have given up
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Those that don't come back are the most frustrating threads, but I figure they didn't like what they heard. You make a good point though nugget, in that for a lot of cases, especially when they are in dire distress, recommending counseling is an important piece of advice, as you can't help everyone here on this level, and they do need professional help.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 06:40 AM
    What often happens is that if somebody is a bit harsh, somebody else will offer a gentle rebuke or just make a comment that's more kind and supportive. It's one of the beauties of diversity. Operating at a distance and through a keyboard, it's often hard to gauge a questioner's state of mind and emotion, so mistakes will be made, but most of the time, it seems to me that excesses of either pity or criticism are self-correcting due to the diversity of perspectives represented. I try to use my own level of frustration as an indicator of when it's time to go do something else or just pass on any response to a particular question. There are occasions when a person repeatedly deflects on-point comments and goes on long self-justifying rambles that call for pretty blunt language, but that's relatively rare, and usually occurs well into a thread after the questioner has revealed enough to tell pretty clearly what's going on.

Dec 16, 2006, 06:40 AM
    I understand where you are coming from tal but perhaps they don't come back not because they didn't like what they heard... perhaps they don't come back because they were reaching for some support and didn't get it because their problems were minimised... hence the people who come back with a different thread. Again, just a thought.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Again I agree, but we just never know what motivates people to do what they do, and as to those multiple posters, which I hate with a passion, some just don't know how to use the site, and some don't know how it works. This is a forum not a chat room, and posting back seems to bring a lot more responses as opposed to asking the same question over. Ordinary guy brings up a good point also as to the diversity of answers, balancing each other out and that, sounds good to me.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 16, 2006, 06:51 AM
    I was told long ago by someone wise that love without truth is manipulation but truth without love is just plain brutality. I seek and speak the truth at all times, if possible. However because I know how people feel and behave both, I spend an equal amount of time seeking to be loving and diplomatic about the telling of truths too. I really wish everyone would. The hazard here is that some people get their own unresolved and hidden anger mixed in with what they do -- that's how tough love just becomes tough.

If you slap people with it, setting off their defensive feelings, it won't do much good in the long run. I think its important to note out of the people who post the harsher stuff here, which ones are also willing to go the distance answering questions and offer support and which ones just post the stuff over and over on a sort of slam dunk and run basis. I am sad to think for the newbie posting here what a painful awakening that is. You make an excellent point here Goldnugget but one that probably won't reach the very folks are being too harsh and who need to see this. LOL Unless one of them was me! :eek: In that case, mission accomplished! LOL

Dec 16, 2006, 07:12 AM
    I understand your comment valinors but we don't 'love' the posters and neither do they 'love' us so there is no room for manipulation. It's not even about setting defensive feelings off. Its about actually harming people with comments or mimising their pain.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Okay, I'm guilty as charged. And in my defense, I care, sometimes too much. But some who come here in shock, need that slap, just to get there attention. Its very hard to see someone in pain, and not feel for them on some level. I may be wrong but sometimes tough love is exactly what people need sometimes just to get them to think. I try not to be downright cruel though, but the truth can be brutal to those who fail to see it.

Dec 16, 2006, 07:24 AM
    I suppose I just believe that this sort of forum also should bear the brunt of humility... no matter how many times people may post or no matter how many times people ask the same questions over and over again... we never really know whether we may be the last ditch effort for someone to reach out and then reach out again without help.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 16, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldnugget
    i understand your comment valinors but we don't 'love' the posters and neither do they 'love' us so there is no room for manipulation. it's not even about setting defensive feelings off. its about actually harming people with comments or mimising their pain.
    Here is my dilemma. I am pretty sure that you misunderstood my post. So we are both disadvantaged by that now. Do I attempt to correct it? Do I let it go? Do I wonder what that is about? Is there something amiss with you and I specifically? Are you angry with me? Do I ask you to explain your post further? What do I do here? I could use your feedback.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 07:31 AM
    One thing for sure this forum is not for the faint of heart, or the thin skinned sometimes, and that is a reflection of life I think.

Dec 16, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Yes tal and that's what I mean. I'm sure a lot of people come here in shock and a 'slap' is not what they need. Granted, a lot of people would come here (like myself) for some sort of validation and advice but there are others who are totally lost, totally have no one, are not very articulate about putting their pain down on paper, can't put their feelings into type very well and are judged unfairly. You will never be able to slap the pain out of someone tal. No one needs to be slapped to bring their pain to light

Dec 16, 2006, 07:39 AM
    No val I am not angry or otherwise with you. In fact, your advise is wonderful on this site and you also helped me. I think you give great advice. I am just concerned about the small minority who, everyone might just pass off as a pain in the arse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Constant worry [ 22 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do to help relax? I am constantly worrying about things that I shouldn't even worry about. I just got married, everything is wonderful, but I worry about someday getting divorced. I sit there and try and plan what I would do if that would happen. I also worry about...

Do I need to worry? [ 1 Answers ]

Here's an embarrassing one- My son flushed my Diva cup (flexible silicone cup about 1 3/4" in diameter at its widest and 2 1/4" long) down the toilet. (His sister decided to tattle on him- lucky for me). I am on a septic system The toilet does not appear blocked (toilet flushed normally- I...

Grandma worry [ 7 Answers ]

My heart is breaking, my son split from his ex 6 years ago, everything has been fine, my son has collected his 2 daughters, one age 6yrs and one is 11yrs every weekend on Friday night and taken them back Saturday night, he has been giving his ex money every week but he has recently fallen on very...

Extreme worry. [ 5 Answers ]

Can you worry about something so much that you physically make it happen to yourself Like mentally? Or physically?

Help! Should I worry? [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help... My LMP was May 1st, I have a 28 day cycle, I had some spotting on the 24th of May, which last only 1/2 a day, I was supposed to get my period on Sunday 29 May, but I still haven't gotten a period yet... For the last 2 weeks, I have been hacking up a lot, I mean constantly...

View more questions Search