Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missmack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 11:45 AM
    I need a knowledgeable and helpful german passport lawyer working in (LONDON)
    I need a knowledgeable and helpful german lawyer working in the uk(LONDON) specializing in passport matters. I can't seem to find any on the web.my child's father and grandfather are german.his name is on the birth certificate but now wants nothing to do with my child.. is he still entitled to german citizenship.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 08:22 PM
    In order to get accurate answer, you need to provide ALL details relevant to this issue. Were you legally married to the child's father? In what country the child was born.. This is important... if the child was born overseas, not in Germany, have you and your husband report "birth of German citizen overseas" at the nearest German Embassy? Etc.
    missmack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2010, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    In order to get accurate answer, you need to provide ALL details relevant to this issue. Were you legally married to the child's father? In what country the child was born.. ? This is important... if the child was born overseas, not in Germany, have you and your husband report "birth of German citizen overseas" at the nearest German Embassy? Etc.
    We were engaged but did not get legally married. He did however sign the birth certificate. My son was born in the uk and I hold trinidadian nationality. I contacted the german mission in london who advised me the child is entitled to a german passport but I have no contact with the father to prove this via his passport/ birth certificate. His parents and sister still communicate with me and I wonder if they can help.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 04:33 PM

The problem is you're not legally married. So in this case, he must be the one who contact the German Embassy... this can be done before the child reaches the age of 18, but the sooner the better.

The fact that he signed on the child's birth certificate is not a legal binding, but you may use this issue to pursue legal obligation on behalf of your child. Contact an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

Can I apply for a german passport when married to a german and living in south africa [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm South African and would like to know if I will be able to apply for a German passport after getting married to my fiancé which of cause is a German himself. We will however live in South Africa after getting married. Our marriage will also take place in South Africa.

Mother German- do I qualify for German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is now deceased was born in Germany. She obtained American citizenship. Is there any chance that I can obtain a German passport?

I'm german but live in england my husband is turkish can he get a german passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm german living in england My husband is turkish can he get a german passport Because I'm german??

Where can I get proofs that my grandfather was German --> Obtaining German Passport [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, My Grandfather was German and he escaped to New York from the Nazis around 1940. He was naturalized as a US Citizen in Feb 1945 so technically he should lose his German Citizenship, however because of Nirenberg laws he's entitled to regain his German Citizenship, hence my father and...

View more questions Search