Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    summerstiles Posts: 3, Reputation: 5

Jul 14, 2010, 11:07 PM
    Breaking up before college
    So first off, I love my boyfriend and he loves me back. We've never cheated or got into serious fights. We've been going out for a year now and were as happy as can be. But, next year (fall 2011) he will be going off to college (I will still be in high school) and we will probably break up. I agree that that is the smart thing to do yet the whole situation saddens me. Knowing that our relationship has an expiration date makes it seem useless. So at times I think about breaking up with him because I know I will have to eventually, but I really don't want to do that.

I'm not looking for sympathy just maybe some advice on the matter from someone who thinks they can help
    Thanks,
    Summer
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 11:15 PM
    I think that many times young love is for a time, and not all time.

There is nothing wrong with saying... I love you... our lives are changing... we need to step back...

Because... honestly... that is the reality.

I loved a great girl once... it was really bad timing... we were a great match, but going different directions. It happens.

Don't fight it. He might be great. But there are a few billion people on this earth. There are a lot of great people out there, and you are young... that isn't a cop out. Your love can be real and intense and honest... but you are young and your life is still changing in very dramatic ways.

It does not diminish your time together or the love you have shared to say "its time to step back"...

You are thinking about this in a very mature manner, with good insight... even if it hurts you to type it.
    summerstiles Posts: 3, Reputation: 5

Jul 15, 2010, 12:07 AM

thanks, I wasn't sure what I was looking to get out of that post, but you helped =]
    Oddboots Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Jul 15, 2010, 01:16 AM
    All good things must come to an end. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    BWK10 Posts: 127, Reputation: 34

Jul 15, 2010, 07:55 AM

Don't break up with him, just cause the time will come eventually. Rather, cherish your time with him... spend time with him, take care of him, relish every chance and every moment you spend together.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 10:13 AM

Fall 2011 is still a long way to go. Until then, just focus on building a stronger relationship. You still have another year together to strengthen your connection. I am especially focusing on your communication system.

The stronger the bond and the better the communication system, the more chance you have to work things out long term, regardless of how far apart you are from each other.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 12:39 PM

I think since you both know that you should break up before he goes to school, just be friends now and enjoy each other and the summer.
    It's not like you're breaking up on bad terms.
    ashjfdkasdf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 09:43 AM
    My boyfriend and I are going through the same thing. I feel very lost and sad and its really upsetting to me to know that we're just going to get closer and more attached and then have to break up. At this point I couldn't imagine my life without him and it kills me to say that because I know just a few months down the road I will have to.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2011, 09:54 PM
    I know it is not any comfort for me to say this happens all the time.

happened to me.

more than once.

but I will say it, out loud, to you.

it is not wrong to open yourself up to someone, even if it fails.

much of the time, it might fail... or not... or...

point is this.

don't regret jumping. Don't regret hoping. Don't regret wishing.

its hard to accept that some of the beauty of knowing another is getting close and then pulling away.

I've loved and liked a few women who were wrong for me, even when I wanted then and thought they were right for me.

just because I want something doesn't Make It So...

... Poo...

=(...

so... point is that I hope you are willing to still get close to others and to accept that sometimes it might not work out.

being open to another person is a good thing, even if things don't pan out as you'd wish.

Quote Originally Posted by ashjfdkasdf View Post
    my boyfriend and i are going through the same thing. i feel very lost and sad and its really upsetting to me to know that we're just going to get closer and more attached and then have to break up. At this point i couldnt imagine my life without him and it kills me to say that because i know just a few months down the road i will have to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a college age student of a diabled parent receive help for college? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a fully disabled parent and wonder if my healthy 19 year old is eligible for financial assitance for college?

Three college kids traveling on a road trip before college and cross into russia [ 1 Answers ]

Three colege kids traveling on a road trip before they return to school cross the russian boarder and end up running from russian boarder patrol. They are wrongly accused of rape and murder of a young girl and are placed in a russian jail

Are college coaches required to have college degrees [ 3 Answers ]

What are the academic requirements to coach at the college level

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

View more questions Search