Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheekylady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 03:10 PM
    Can a doctor cut you off your medication?
    I have been on oxy 20s for 2 years now and tylenol 4 for 5 years . I went to a party a couple of weeks ago and was offered a line of coke I decided to try it for the first time. Then I went to my doctors on Monday and he took a urine test and found coke in the test . Now he has cut me off my meds totally and wants to drop me as a patient after all the years. Is there anything I can do as I do need this medication and made 1 mistake of taking cocaine but have not touched it since??
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2010, 04:27 PM

The doctor in possession of laboratory results showing the presence of an illegal controlled substance in your system can terminate prescription and, dependent on the circumstances, may very well be required to do so.

The most expeditious route for you would be to present your best case for reinstatement to that same doctor.

Pain medication is a hot potato at present and will only get worse.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 04:38 PM

Yes, he may, since the mixture of prescription drugs with illegal drugs is a serious issue. If he knowing you were doing illegal drugs gives additional presciptions, he may be found liable if you do serious injury to yourself from these.

So yes he can cut you off, and it is possible he may fear you do more
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2010, 05:29 PM

There is usually more to a story than we're given, and I'm sure your doctor feels the same way that we do.

However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I know the importance of pain managing opiates. And I also know the rollercoaster of drug addiction.

You can plead your case with the doctor, and agree to regular drug testing. I'm sure that he doesn't want to lose a patient, but he doesn't want to be prescribing drugs to someone who is using recreational drugs like cocaine.

Have you been abusing the oxys? Do you run out early?

If you are experiencing withdrawals, and feel that you're an addict, then come back.

There is help available.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 05:44 PM

I will say, after asking the doc that I work for about this, that due to insurance liability, most docs will "fire" their patient for this kind of activity.

You see, cocaine is illegal, and oxys are being sold on the black market like lifesavers.

Since the OP decided to participate in illegal activity (use of cocaine), the doctor cannot afford to risk his license prescribing oxy as the doctor cannot be sure that the pt is not subscribing to any other illegal activity, i.e. selling the oxy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Qd All medication [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about the medication QD All?

Cut her loose or cut her slackj [ 3 Answers ]

Dude, this sounds bad, but my friend is hott(not in a lesbo way), and she is friends with all the guys. But whenever she tries to help out a friend, they always endup liking her! It really ticks me off because all the guys love her and I really don't need her taking the only guy I got! She always...

Medication [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering , according to Michigan law, can an intern prescribe meds?

View more questions Search