Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DedElf Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Barbells tend to become problematic with cleaning in the early stages of a piercing because of the swelling. They lack the range of motion that hoops have, especially with the initial swelling. Its possible to thoroughly clean the piercing when you have a bar, just more difficult and for some people, painful. A hoop you just lather it up with anti-bacterial soap suds and turn back and forth and you got it. Ya got to wiggle and all that junk with a bar. Oy! The white crusties are normal. Its not dry skin and you want to gently turn the jewelry to keep it from getting stuck in them. Hurts a wee bit when it does and you have to rip it loose, plus it can tear the forming scar tissue. Just keep doing what your piercer told you to do and if any problems develop I recommend going back to them. You can get advice on the internet but without actually being able to see the piercing from all angles its extremely difficult to tell what exactly is going on. Good luck!
    Hell_On_Heels_07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Thanks! You are very very helpful! I was just wondering. I don't think it hurts too much to clean it. It did at first, but not now. It looks pretty normal, I think, for a new piercing. It's not really red (except for a few right after I clean it) and the swelling is very little now. I actually did go back a few days after the piercing, and fortunately the same guy was working. The problem was that the top part of my barbell is crooked! I wanted to know if I should take it out and heal it, then try again... but he said that he's positive that it went in straight... and that it would be crooked until it heals, because of the skin tightening. I believe him, I guess, I mean he knows more about it than I do. It just seems funny to me. Plus, I'm not sure I really care if it's crooked, even after it heals. But, have you heard of this problem before? Do you know if it's possible that it will straighten out with time? (I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm pretty sure this is the last problem I have.)
    ashiiboo Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Ok.. ive had my belly pierced now for a months and I changed the barbell a few times I think it is heled now I've been cleaning it and the at the piercing studio they said it looks pretty good :) when I clean it with the pink soap should I take out the barbell and do it?

Jan 19, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Your piercer should have gone over the procedure with you. Just follow their instructions and you should be fine.
    ashiiboo Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
    I think my belly button is infected? Because there is a big bump under the barbell and when I clean it pus comes out and it hurts how can I make it go away.And on the bump there is blood and stuff how can I stop this

Feb 17, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Without being able to actually see the piercing I can't give you a definite on if it is infected or not. Typical signs of infection are soreness, the entire area being red/redish black with leakage.

The fact that you have had your piercing for two months and it doesn't seem, from your description, to be healed to a safe point yet does make me wonder.

Pus at this point in the healing process doesn't always mean trouble, but I would recommend if you are really concerned with being able to keep the piercing and maintain your health you go back to your piercer and let them look at it.

I would look into life style changes. If there's a lot of stress in your life, that can negatively impact the healing process. Drugs and alcohol screw with healing. Sexual contact... Sweat, semen, vaginal fluids, saliva, etc ends up all over the place and any of those coming in contact with a new piercing can cause infection. Especially repeated contact with bodily fluids other than your own. Your own bodily fluids can cause major damage as well.

I don't know if you fall into the "scene" crowd or not as I don't know you but I see navel piercings and problems with the piercings most often in kids trying to be a part of the cool kids. I implore you to visit either the individual who pierced you to begin with so they can investigate or if you'd rather not find another piercer who you could go to. As with most medical situations, an accurate apraisal can not be made over the internet.

Aside from that if I were to give you any other answers I'd need to know specifics on how you clean, what you use to clean, how often etc. But without being able to see it in person, I can't tell you if the bump is a pimple or something serious. I'd hate to tell you something about infections and only to hear back from you a few days later and find out it's a zit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liquid diet [ 2 Answers ]

Is the liquid diet effective and what kinds of drinks do you need?

Liquid nitrogen [ 8 Answers ]

Does any body know where I can get some liquid nitrogen in Alabama

Washing up liquid [ 2 Answers ]

What washing up liquid are you supposed to use? Can you use any?

How do I clear my browser cache? [ 2 Answers ]

How I clear my browser cache? I'm a newbie.

View more questions Search