Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepretender31 Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Dec 15, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Rumor says that orange juice has...
    Alcohol.. yes and it worries me if that's true.. I have been told that the fresh fruits juices includes fractions of percentage of alcohol to preserve the fruit from frementing.. is this true? I have googled the web to find fresh juice ingredients but couldn't locate any info.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 15, 2006, 08:24 PM
    I don't know if this will satisfy you. I live in Florida and well, fancys myself is a bit of an amateur orange juice connoisseur since wine is now off the list. :o I have a pretty discriminating palette -- have tasted fresh squeezed straight off the trees and every other concievable kind of orange juice. I have never ever encountered this in tasting it nor have I seen it listed in any packaging which I usually read too.

Here is an odd bit of trivia, maybe Ben can appreciate. The best tasting single fruit variety I've tasted (sorry I can't recall the type of orange now) was the ugliest looking orange -- mishapen, mottled green and sickly orange, thin skinned-- but oh my my the juice was bright, clear, not too sweet or cloying (I hate that) and the orangiest orange tasting juice I have ever had! Most orange juice is a blend of different varieties. Flavor is very affected by weather.

Also here is a wild guess that maybe someone who homebrews could confirm or correct but I think the addition of alcohol would encourage further fermentation rather than prevent it, or so it seems in some remote "I don't know why I think that" corner of my mind? Like a catalyst maybe?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 09:01 PM
    In some orange drinks, look for Sorbitol, a sugar alcohol which is used as a artificaial sweatner.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Dec 16, 2006, 08:26 AM
    According to the USDA nutritional database orange juice does not contain any alcohol.

There are a lot of drinks on the market that aren't pure orange juice. I haven't seen one with alcohol added, but read the labels if you want to be sure.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thepretender31
    alcohol..yes and it worries me if thats true..i have been told that the fresh fruits juices includes fractions of percentage of alcohol to preserve the fruit from frementing..is this true? i have googled the web to find fresh juice ingredients but couldnt locate any info.
    I was intriqued by this question to the point of e-mailing Tropicana, I just received a reply this morning, this is what they said;
    Re: Tropican Pure Premium Orange Juice Reference # 026005101A
    Tropicana only produces non alcoholic juices and beverages. We do not include even a fraction of a percentage of alcohol in our Orange Juices. ( So now we know that at least Tropicana is alcohol free.) The question really made me think, thanks;)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Fermentation is a problem in foodstuffs, as yeast can easily grow. However, adding alcohol would not be a very good deterrent, as that's the end product of fermentation. Yeast is most likely killed in irradiation and other preservation methods.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Ascorbic acid is what has been used as a preservative for years as well as benzoates as sorbates... but not alcohol.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 06:47 AM
    I think that this rumor has been created because alcohol is used for cleaning and things, because it quickly kills microorganisms. However it is not used in food preparation, for obvious reasons, it is not harmless for human consumption!
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I think that this rumor has been created because alcohol is used for cleaning and things, because it quickly kills microorganisms. However it is not used in food preparation, for obvious reasons, it is not harmless for human consumption!
    I don't know about "not used in food prep", not used in ingredients, maybe, like the juice question. But a lot of Italian cooking includes red, white wine or sherry, and it adds to the flavors. But I know that alcohol evaporates at 172 degress roughly, so not all of it evaporates in normal simmering or boiling. It would have to cook 3 hours ro really eradicate "almost" all traces. But I have marinated food in alcohol, for flavor and tenderness! And it's great.:p
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:18 AM
    I believe capuchin was referrign to the use of alcohol in the manufacturing process or as a preservative, not as part of the ingredients of a recipe.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Sorry, I meant preservation rather than preparation. Sometimes I type faster than I think :)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Sorry, I meant preservation rather than preparation. Sometimes I type faster than I think :)
    You have to excuse him on that one lovelesspa he is male after all ;) (joke cap loves ya)

I have to say thought I've enjoyed reading this thred certainly made me think
    willywonka22002 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2007, 02:34 PM
    YES ALCAHOL can preserve stuff, only some types I believe... I know for definite that in hot countries they put vodka in the milk to make sure it has not gone off by the end of the day.

ALCAHOL is not used in fruit juices, well at least none I know of.. if I was you try checking the ingredients... they have to put it on the ingredients at the end of the day
    cosmoandotis Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2010, 03:08 PM
    There is between .2 to .5 % natural alcohol in orange juice, naturally. It is not added by anyone but mother nature. It is similar to kombucha tea and non-alcoholic beers.
    IMO If you are going to answer questions you should know the correct answer or take the time to look up the science. Indiana University has a "fact sheet" available re: these issues.
    NathansMommy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 06:32 PM
    Actually there is a small amount of natural occurring alcohol in all natural fruit juices and teas such as orange juice. It's usually less than 0.5% at the most though. The alcohol is produced by fermentation which occurs when yeasts or bacteria convert sugars into carbon dioxide and alcohol. So to answer your question - yes there is alcohol in orange juice although not much and no this is not because it was added as a preservative or anything like that.
    scrapegoat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Orange juice has no added alcohol, however it contains sugar and sugar ferments into alcohol (even in your fridge) given time.

Every fruit juice, once opened slowly begins to ferment and will contain a tiny amount of alcohol after several days. Most of the time you finish off the juice long before the alcohol content becomes even a slight concern for your health.

If you drink your juice it tastes off or fizzy, throw it out.

M Pina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
    To answer your question, alcohol is not added to commercial orange juices (example of these are Florida's Natural, Minute Maid, etc). The key word here being ADDED. There is a natural process call fermentation in which natural yeasts, (which can be found on almost any surface of anything), finds it's way into juices and eats the natural sugars. This feeding process produces Co2 and alcohol as a byproduct. In wine making or other alcoholic beverage where this is desirable, the waiting time before packaging is lengthened to allow the natural yeasts to produce LOTS of these byproducts. In regular juices, the product are processed and shipped more immediately for consumption so that less fermentation occurs, though some is unavoidable (unless you drink just picked, fresh squeezed OJ). It is estimated that approximately 0.07% alcohol by weight IS produced in most orange juices by the time they appear on grocery store shelves, however at this low level, you would metabolize the alcohol as fast as you consume the drink. So although all orange juice contains alcohol, the quantity is low enough that you won’t get intoxicated from it, even if you drink many glasses of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cherry juice [ 7 Answers ]

I've heard good things about pure cherry juice. I've heard that it can cure headaches and a friend of mine says that her boyfriend swears by it he will usually drink a glass mixed with water once in the morning and once at night and he doesn't have the usual aches and pains anymore from his...

Lemon Juice [ 10 Answers ]

Hey. I heard somewhere that lemon juice can act as a skin bleaching method but I'm not sure if its good for your skin. Should it be mixed with something before hand or what?? :confused:

Blonde not orange [ 1 Answers ]

A couple days ago I dyed my naturally dirty blonde hair "golden blonde" using herbal essences hair dye. The golden blonde isn't really golden... its more orangey blonde. What is the best way to make my hair a natural color blonde again? Thanks.

Orange tabby [ 4 Answers ]

My name is kaycee and I have a 1 year old male orange tabby and I haven't got him his shots yet he's very playfull and eats good but in a 2 week period he has thrown up a few times it's a round medium size pile but it looks like diariah but I'm sure its vomit what does this mean

Orange webmail [ 4 Answers ]

I'm having real problems accessing my email account with orange 9/10 times I get the message your browser does not accept cookies I don't have this problem with any of my other email accounts I have tried resetting my cookie browser but the problem just won't go away Please help I'm at my wits...

View more questions Search