Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johnny_Walking Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
    What platform to use
    Guys I have a similar project and was just wondering about what language/program I should use... I was thinking somewhat on the lines of Access,SQL, Visual Basic.

As a relative newcomer I don't understand these and it would be of great help to me if you people could just explain to me the pros and cons of the above mentioned systems.

Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2010, 09:21 AM

First, its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can cause confusion. So I've moved your question to it's own thread.

Visual Basic is a programming language. It's a compilable language, which means one can make a stand alone executable using it. Access is a database development platform. It includes tools that make it very easy to create forms, report, queries etc. SQL is a query language used to retrieve data from SQL compliant databases like SQL Server, MY SQL, Oracle etc.

So these are all different options and may not be mutually exclusive. If you give a brief description of your project we may be able to help further.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2010, 02:04 PM
    The three parts you mentioned can join together to produce something. You create a program in Visual Basic. That queries a database via SQL and that database is managed using Access. You're running before you can walk though. Decide on what you want to do first, then pick the best tools for the job. Don't do it the other way round.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is Comman Portal Platform(CPP) Technology? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello friends, Will any one know about Comman Portal Platform(CPP) Technology? I need information about it, I want to know what is it? Thanks in advance Regards vikas

Diy platform bed [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on building my own platform bed. I've done extensive research but could not find the answer to my question. Is it better to build the platform with a soild top (i.e. plywood) vs a plank type top. This is the top where the mattress would sit on. Please give me your opinions and the...

How to Setup PC to receive files from different Platform [ 4 Answers ]

I have been stuck with this problem for a while, I want to setup this PC to receive files from a different system/Platform from the network. Do I need to install FTP client? And how should I set it up?

View more questions Search