Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carolineelise Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Small claims court
    My husband is being sued by his EX-mother-in-law for "multiple personal loans" that she claims were made to him and her daughter over the years of their marriage in the amount of $4,200. He has no idea what she is talking about and she refuses to give him any information or details. (see you in court!) He and his ex-wife have been divorced over a year. Can he file a motion to dismiss based on untimely complaint or lack of information? And if so, how does he go about that. He has 30 days to provide the court a response.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolineelise View Post
    My husband is being sued by his EX-mother-in-law for "multiple personal loans" that she claims were made to him and her daughter over the years of thier marriage in the amount of $4,200. He has no idea what she is talking about and she refuses to give him any information or details. (see you in court!) He and his ex-wife have been divorced over a year. Can he file a motion to dismiss based on untimely complaint or lack of information? And if so, how does he go about that. He has 30 days to provide the court a response.
    First of all, where are you located? Each state has a different statute of limitations; she may not even be able to legally sue him for this debt, depending on when the loan was made and when she received the last payment for it.

Second, has anything actually been filed? Has he received a court summons or is she just threatening a lawsuit? I would refrain from speaking to her anymore until you find out if she's actually suing him or not.

Third, does she also have her daughter listed as a defendant? She can't claim that she lent both of them the money and then sue only him for it.

She would have had to list her reason for suing in the court summons - what does that say beyond he allegedly owes her $4,200? Does he deny receiving the money?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2010, 08:17 AM

I apologize, the site is having problems with the new format. Instead of using the "Reply" button, scroll down towards the bottom of the page and type in the box directly underneath the words "Answer this question"
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 08:30 AM

Hello c:

Small claims court is very relaxed. No matter what motion you file, it'll probably be heard at the same hearing the plaintiffs claim will be heard.

So, in my view, he'll have to appear in any case. But, this8384 is right. He can't be sued for loans made to BOTH of them. Have him deny the claim in his answer.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I can take my Step-daughter to Small Claims court in order to retrieve my money. She owes me $8,310 dollars. She signed a contract for part of it. She moved to Florida. In other words she robbed me, What can I do? Does Small Claims Court handle these matters in the county one...

What can I ask for in small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Paid $1200 for wedding pics sept. '06 and haven't received anything. Had contract. The contract clearly states the location of the ceremony. After wedding they added $250 in extra fees. Haven't paid the fees. The photographer claims the location was farhter than he had expected (even though the...

Small claims court [ 11 Answers ]

Me (Shirley) and my aunt (Margaret) had a cell phone account together but had separate phones, and also she was the primary account holder, I CXL my phone service early, so I had to pay the early cancelation fee, which I paid, now the phone service is calling my aunt saying that bill was not paid,...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Every One, My question tonight is about suing in small claims court.. Really its more about what am I allowed to sue for.. I entered in to a verbal agreement with a old friend of mine to help him out.. Honestly to help him stay out of jail. He was on house arrest and needed a phone so I...

View more questions Search