Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 05:46 PM
    Rheem rpka-030 jaz bypassing timer control
    Replacing my main contactor again due to cold solder joint caused by corrosion on the timer control. I tried bypassing the timer, because my digital thermostat (Honeywell rth 7000 series) already has one. Have the yellow from the thermostat going to one side of the coil on the contactor and the brown going to the compressor on the other side. Thing is, I check for voltage on this wire, and I've got nothing on any of the wires coming from the thermostat, which shows that it's on. I'm just checking for that 24vac point to ground, so I believe I'm doing that right. I just don't know where the 24vac is coming from. I'm a little frustrated, and it's 87 degrees in the house right now. Some help would be great.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 06:28 PM
    If I`m reading you right, small wire to the opposite side of contactor coil is supposed to be common back to the furnace circuit board,which shouldn`t have a 24v reading, you won`t read 24v on the yellow wire until the tstat is set to a/c and this should pull the contactor in,which tells you that you have 24v to the contactor. I hope this helps as I`m not totally sure of the question

Jul 14, 2010, 04:32 AM

Found I had blown a fuse in the thermostsat wiring cb in the upstairs air handler. I do remember that wire sparking a bit during my replacing the contactor because I didn't hit the breaker to all the ac (just the outside unit). The brown wire in question comes from the other side of the coil through a hot gas switch, high pressure switch, then to a common on the defrost control. Going to try it like this after replacing the fuse, and go from there.

Jul 16, 2010, 06:11 AM

Got it. Everything working great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bypassing a factory installed remote control [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, I hope that you guys can help me. I have a ceiling fan that turns itself on and off whenever it wants. Actually, I have 2 but the same problem exists with both. I have installed many ceiling fans, and apart from the occasional wobble, I have never had a problem. I have recently built a...

Where is the reset button on a rheem heat pump, PPL-JAZ Model Series 14 SEER? [ 1 Answers ]

I have Rheem Heat Pump and it's not working. The fan is blowing, but no cold air. I can't find the reset button on it. It's a PPL-JAZ Model Series 14 SEER, and it was put in just over two years ago. I have looked at installation instructions, but I can't find the reset button. Can anyone help...

Bypassing remote control [ 2 Answers ]

How do you bypass the remote on a unit without a reversing switch?"

Rheem heat pump rpka-030jaz fan control [ 5 Answers ]

What controls the fan on my heat pump? It's running all the time, whether the compressor is running or not, and I can't tell from the diagram on the back of the shroud what actually tells the fan to shut off when temp is reached and the thermostat shuts down the compressor.

View more questions Search