Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ARandomKid Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Windows Registry Error - scanreg not working?
    So... I have Windows 98, and every time I boot to the startup screen, I get a registry error. I googled it, found these instructions:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.
    These were pretty much what I got throughout my search (some steps removed but the basics were the same: Get to C prompt, use scanreg), so I decide to try them.

The problem: This doesn't work.

I get a "Bad command or file name" every time I try this. Any suggestions?

If it matters, this is what I see every time I try this (exactly):

C:\>scanreg /fix
    Bad command or file name

C:\>
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 15, 2006, 04:22 PM
    I would try SCANREG /? To get a list of possible options. If you that doesn't help then try SCANREG /RESTORE and then press enter. This should be able to take you back to before the errors.

Good Luck
    ARandomKid Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrowrj
    I would try SCANREG /? to get a list of possible options. If you that doesnt help then try SCANREG /RESTORE and then press enter. This should be able to take you back to before the errors.

Good Luck
    I got the same "Bad command or file name" response from both those options. I tried them both in uppercase and lowercase, though I'm not sure if that matters or not. It can't hurt, I know that much.
    artie65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Try this I use windows 98SE and had success as follows. In DOS list choose "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only". At C: prompt type scanreg/restore and hit enter key. Looks like this C:scanreg/restore. No space between the g and /. In the list choose your latest date to restore.

Also if possible choose a restore point marked STARTED next to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win XP Professional Registry Stop Error [ 20 Answers ]

Hello! I have a problem with Win XP Professional. I believe that I'm getting a registry stop error and the PC can never finish successfully booting up. The problem I'm seeing is it starts looking like it's going to boot up OK. Then it immediately goes into Checkdisk (Msg says "One of your disks...

Windows Registry error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post and I am not very computer literate. I have been getting a lot of error messages so I decided to reinstall windows xp. This erased all my files and everything like I wanted it to. I have the internet back up and working now but I keep having a windows registry error. From...

Windows registry error [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my computer had problems with error popups and trojan popups all the time so I decided to reinstall windows and everything is fine now except I keep getting a windows registry error. I've done this one other time and the Comcast guy set up everything for me and I can't find out how to finish the...

Windows/Registry Error [ 8 Answers ]

I have gotten twice in the last month or so an error message (upon startup) to the effect: Windows had had a problem accessing the registry. It will fix the problem and restart. The only option I'm given is to click OK. Then it says it is restoring an old version of the registry. On restart, I...

Error message windows registry checker [ 6 Answers ]

Each time I switch the computer on I get a message: windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you When I click on OK the system reboots and the same message comes up. I have done a full scan disk and everything there is OK,...

View more questions Search