Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    educk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 09:56 AM
    How many neutral and grounds?
    I am adding 4 new circuits to my house. Do I need separate neutral and separate ground for each circuit, or can they be shared?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 10:34 AM

Depends on what you are talking about.

Foe example, if you are going to use four separate circuits, then yes, each circuit must have a netural and an equipment grounding conductor.

However, if you are going to use a multi wire circuit with a shared ground, that also is acceptable.

Several words of caution, if you choose to do a multiwire circuit then you need to use a double pole breaker that will trip and open both lines at the same time. Also, be aware, if you use a multiwire circuit and for any reason the neutral fails, you will drop 240 VAC across the circuit.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2010, 11:25 AM
    If at all possible, use separate neutrals for each circuit.

Shared neutrals in a multi-wire branch circuit can pose serious problems if the neutral is opened by a loose connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do single pole breakers hook black to breaker and neutral & grd to bonded neutral bar [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Eaton Cutler-Hammer meter/breaker box. (MB816B200BTS-FLCH) I want to run a 20 amp circuit (underground wire) from this box through existing underground conduit to a receptacle for a dishwasher. This run would be app. 15' to 20' and from my main house panel it would be 40' to 50'. All...

Mains neutral and generator neutral [ 0 Answers ]

I'm certainly not an electrician but one of expert around this web can help. I recently come across the problem where the ground volts raised up to 12 volts and UPS system (10KVA) was stopped working due to ground issue. Some electricians came but unable to find the actual cause then I ask from...

Grounds for divorce [ 3 Answers ]

This guy called up his lawyer to tell him he was filing for divorce, and the lawyer inquired as to the grounds for the suit. "I've got grounds, all right," sputtered the irate husband. "Can you believe my wife told me I'm a lousy lover?" "That's why you're suing?" pursued his lawyer. "Of...

What happen if you connect some grounds and neutral to the neutral bus bar and the do [ 1 Answers ]

The same conect some grounds and neutrals to the ground bus bar just using whichever bus bar is closest to the breaker so the wires don't have to travel all around the breaker box is that OK and safe to connect wires like that thank you

Sharing neutral and grounds OK? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for clarification on sharing neutrals and grounds. When using 12/3 wire for home runs to panel , I believe it is OK to use the black for 1 circuit and the red for another circuit ( say black for plugs in a room and red for lights ). But is there a danger of overloading the neutral and...

View more questions Search