Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Carpentry/Woodworking... removing silicone glue and wood glue
    My apologies if this is not the correct forums. I couldn't find a carpentry or woodworking forums. Feel free to point me there.

I have a Leslie speaker cabinet I am refinishing. It is plywood with veneer. Someone has glued a bunch of boards inside the cabinet that are in the way and blocking the louvers, I need to remove them. They used woodglue but also sealed them with silcone. I need a chemical that will soften or eat the glue and silicone. I will be refinishing the outside of the cabinet so if any seeps through and eats the finish it will be OK, but I don't want to damage the veneer too badly.

I need to be able to buy a couple gallons of whatever it is pretty cheaply. There is a LOT of glue and silicone that I will need to remove.

Thanks guys!

-CFR-
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2010, 05:12 PM

Hi cfr

Try listing in the furniture section of home and garden. I think experts in that section may be more helpful.

Let me know how u make out.

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 12, 2010, 06:10 PM

It is pretty difficult to envision exactly what you are describing. Show us a picture. Only way to remove the silicone is scraping. Water will should soften the wood glue but you will probably have difficulty getting the water to the glue because of the silicone. Show us a picture.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 06:44 PM

Well, maybe not. See: 3M 08984 Ships Store Torresen

Generally baffles can be part of the speaker design, Be careful what you remove.

See: SpeakerBuilding.com - Toccata Grande, Part 2, Page 2
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks, I'll try that section.

KISS this was a botched conversion job that I need to undo. They had no clue what they were doing, I do.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
    Here are some pictures.

Here is the inside of the cabinet, you can see the boards they glued with silicone and wood glue, as well as the residue from where I was able to remove boards (and other things) glued with silicone.

Here is one section of the cabinet where I was able to partially remove a board. As I got further down however, my prying was more likely to crack the cabinet than remove anything

Here is an outside shot showing the louvers they were attempting to seal off with the boards. I have no earthly idea why, as they are where the sound escapes from

Here is the shot of the inside of a DIFFERENT cabinet, this is what it is SUPPOSED to look like:

You can see the space where a shelf goes, just above the louvers. Both cabinets have that shelf removed and I will need to reinstall it.

If there are any woodworking experts near Madison, WI, I would love to trade favors! Come give me a hand! I'll throw in gas money and food and a little something extra.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rubber Cement Glue on Wood! [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get Elmer's Rubber Cement Glue off wood? My daughter was scrapbooking and put her finished sheets on our wood desk and the rubber cement glue came through the sheets and is now on the desk.:( Thanks for any help! JPT

Removing flooring glue from hard wood installation [ 6 Answers ]

We just installed new hardwood flooring. We have used two different types of flooring adhesive. The first was the only one sold at Lowe's and comes up from the flooring where it has been spread easily, add water and the swipe of a cloth. The other adhesive was purchased when we ran out of the...

Glue rising from between wood slabs [ 1 Answers ]

My contractor installed an engineered wood several months ago. Recently I noticed that glue is coming up between the slabs in some areas. I hadn't noticed this before. Why is this happening and can it be removed? Thanks

Getting tape glue off wood furniture [ 3 Answers ]

The movers put packing tape on my wood furniture. The backing(glue) remaind on my furniture when I removed the tape. How do I remove it without destroying my furniture? Thank you so much. Kathy

View more questions Search