Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JuLee Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 12:15 PM
    File separate or joint?
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of filing married-jointly and married-seperate? Not sure which I should do...

GOt married in July. Husband is going to school, worked from Jan till May, not working now, just graduated this December. Im working full time, no children, pregnant with baby due in mid Jan 07. 1 mortgage.

ANy suggestions? I appreciate your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 05:53 PM
    JuLee:

Normally, filing jointly makes the most sense, because filing separately may limit his ability to claim any education credits.

However, the best way to be sure is to prepare the return BOTH ways, then file the return(s) that results in the least amount of taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do kids need separate activities? [ 25 Answers ]

I am divorced, and I am engaged to be married. My fiancé has a 6 year old daughter. I have a 5 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. My children are and have been happily involved in various activities. My son is in baseball and football... my daughter is in her 3rd year of dance. This...

Lighting/electrical - is separate circuit possible? [ 3 Answers ]

I have lights in my house that have both a regular switch and a dimmer switch. A few days ago I used the regular switch to turn on the lights and it looked like a circuit breaker tripped and the lights went out. I checked the main box and no circuits were tripped... and I looked for a sub-panel...

2 separate issues with NJ Taxes [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have 2 separate issues with filing NJ taxes for 2004 and 2005. I am non resident of NY and resident of NJ. My W2 shows NY Tax withheld and no NJ tax withheld for both years. 1) For 2004, my CPA never mailed the returns to NJ and NY :( Now I prepared the returns using TaxAct and have...

Wife wants to separate [ 7 Answers ]

We were married in the USA. We lived in the USA for 3 years. We lived in France for 3.5 years. I returned to the US in January to find work as did not find much in France. I have secured a good job now. My wife does not want to move to the USA but instead wants to separate. What are the...

Do kids need separate activities? [ 2 Answers ]

I am divorced, and I am engaged to be married. My fiancé has a 6 year old daughter. I have a 5 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. My children are and have been happily involved in various activities. My son is in baseball and football... my daughter is in dance. This year my son told me he...

View more questions Search