Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rana420 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Can you please show me the steps or explain this steps and the formulas used in doing
    Can you please show me the steps or explain this steps and the formulas used in doing this math problem.

Find mean,median, & mode mid value - 15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 frequency - 2,22,19,14,3,4,6,1,1?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 12, 2010, 12:13 PM

"Mean" is the same as average - so simply add up all the numbers and divide by the number of samples, which in this case is 9.

"Median" is the midde value of the set. First put the data points in order. Since there are 9 data points, the median value would be the 5th one in the ordered set, since for that number there are just as many poiint greater than it as there are points less than it.

"Mode" is the value that occurs most often. Often in a data set there is not a single value that occurs the most often. If no single result occures more than once, the set is said to have no mode. If there are two or more results that each occur multiple times, then the set has multiple modes.

Here is an example to illustrate: suppose you have:

5, 2, 2, 1, 9, 7, 5, 3, 2

First put the data in order:

1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 9

The mean is (1 + 2 + 2+ 2 + 3+ 5 + 5 + 7+ 9)/9 = 36/9 = 4.

The median is 3, since the 5th value in order is a 3. There are 4 data points with values less than 3 (1,2,2,and 2) and four values greater in value (5, 5, 7 amnd 9)

The mode is 2, because that value occurs more often than any other value.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need steps for this [ 1 Answers ]

D=rt solve for t

What steps do I take? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter has my maiden name and me and my husband both agreed to change it to our last name? But we don't know how to go about doing that?

Next steps with my ex [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all... So, like many others have lost someone whom I loved. I guess I'll give you the long, drawn out story. So, about 3 months ago my ex and I broke up. She immediately jumped into a relationship with someone, I suggested that we end things between us, but like so many others, was talked...

Next steps? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I will try to be as succinct as possible with respect to the facts of my case. As the result of a lawsuit that was filed against me in New York, I sent the debt collection a demand for a Bill of Particulars. The debt collector that is suing me inherited the debt via assignment from...

What steps do I need [ 5 Answers ]

I am 8 months pregnant. The father does not want anything to do with the baby. He has denied the child in the past, but is now willing to give up parental rights. He resides in New York and I in West Virginia. Does he need to sign the birth certificate? What other steps are involved with him...

View more questions Search