Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 10:44 PM
    Short in van
    I have a 1988 Ford Econoline van I bought a month ago. It ran fine for a week then it started not starting especially first thing in the morning. I took it to a bunch of places and they all said it wasn't a short and the battery, alternator, selinoid and everything tested fine. I finally got Wal Mart to give me a new battery. It ran fine again for a little over a week, Then some of my lights, dash board gauges and windows started not working sometimes. Today I had to get it jumped to start again. When it does this all I get is the clicking sound when I turn the key on. It starts right up when I use the jumper cables or the battery charger. I can't afford to pay a mechanic to spend hours looking for a short. With what all is working sometimes and sometimes not is there certain wires that I should have checked that are most likely it? First my rear lights that come on with the headlights didn't work. Then the turn signals, then the dash board gauges and then the windows. They work sometimes sometimes they don't.
    Thanks
    jsjmax Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Jul 12, 2010, 04:14 AM
    Has the van been in salty conditions? Road salt etc? Sounds like the fuse block under the hood on the drivers side. Usually the wires rot off on the back and need to be rewired with new terminals. If you are not good with wiring it may be something you want to have done for you.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 05:29 AM

Check, or replace, the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 08:23 PM

Thank you both. I am going to write it all down and get each thing checked. I changed the selinoid today and it is starting better... for now.

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 08:34 PM

This actually COULD be a bad battery cable or battery cable connection.

Sometimes the negative terminal gets hidden. Check carefully both ends of the cables.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My van is overheating. Do not know why. [ 1 Answers ]

all right I have a 1995 Dodge caravan and it overheats in different ways at random. When I start it and drive it around a few minutes the needle on the gauge will shoot all the way over to the highest temp and the light will come on. If I turn the engine off and then turn it back on, the temp...

Dodge Van [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 81 Dodge Van, 440 engine, getting gas, firing from coil, points set at 16k, fire to plugs, new plugs. Won't start. What else can it be?

Some VERY short books and short films inspired by our times [ 1 Answers ]

Some more very short books AND their accompanying movie adaptations 1) The complete Iraqi WMD photo album by Donald Rumsfeld Original title: "Don't look at me! I thought WMD's were a deli sandwich!" a great short film as well: YouTube - RUMSFELD'S BEST

View more questions Search