Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Indoor airconditioner and that fishy smell
    We just bought a 14000BTU indoor air conditioner and after a while of it running we noticed a fishy smell. Doing some googling around I discovered that a likely cause is the wiring around where the conditioner is plugged in. We felt around the receptacle and noticed it was indeed warm in the wall :eek:. Needless to say it's not plugged in now but what are our options?

A little background: it's a 28 year old bungalow that may have mixed wiring (copper and aluminum as I recall), is this the cause? We'rte going to get an electrician to do some tests. We have a gutted/renovated bathroom, would that GFI socket be safe to use?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 04:29 PM

With any aluminum wire have a certified electrician check it to be sure the wire is OK. The smell might also be the dreaded dirty sock syndrome Look that up on Google for the cure.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 01:45 AM
    I checked out dirty sock syndrome and that doesn't seem to be the cause since we don't fit the criteria for that. We'll get an electrician in ASAP I guess. Thanks hvac.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy Smell [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new home and we have been living here for approx. 14 months. We have two guest rooms on the main floor. There is a bathroom between these two rooms. One of these guest rooms have only been used twice. The first visitor came to us after one night in there and said there was...

Fishy smell [ 11 Answers ]

The other day my boyfriends penis smelt of fish, needless to say, I stopped touching it, is that normal?

Fishy smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a horrible fishy smell coming from the downstairs vent. I have two air-conditioning units. One that runs the upstairs and one that runs the downstairs. The units themselves are outside. I have had someone come and take a look at the units. The gentlemen took a look in the attic and stated...

Fishy smell [ 1 Answers ]

My female great dane seems to have a strong fishy odor every time she licks/cleans between her legs. Is something wrong or is there a remedy for this? She is almost 15 months old, and has just gone through her second heat cycle a few weeks ago. Thanks.

Fishy Smell [ 1 Answers ]

Occasionally our spare bedroom or the hall way smell fishy. The odor seems to come from under the house. The smell is awful but does not last more than an hour or so. HELP THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS! :confused:

View more questions Search