Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tefrye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Septic smell in basement floor drain/gutter drain?
    1928 home on city sewer. After showers there is a septic smell coming up from floor dain in basement. I have oured enormous amounts of water down the drain not fixing the problem. I ended up cover the drain with a bucket, this took care of the smell, this was all three months ago. I recently cut my gutter down spouts and added downspout extenders. WHile doing this my wife was taking a shower and that awfull septic smell was coming from one of the downsput drains in the ground. I went inside and rmoved the buckett from the floor drain in basement and the smell was there as well, however by removing the buckett the smell outside coming from the downspout drain ceased. 1) what could be causing this? 2) should I have left the downpouts alone, and let them drain into wherever that drains leads to? 3) I do have one stack vent on roof of house, could this be clogged and causing the problem?
    Thanks, any advice is much appreciated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 11:46 AM
    It sounds like you may have had the downspouts connected to the city sewer and when you removed them, the basement drain was higher and acted like a vent. Are you sure there is a trap in the floor drain? This was built 80+ years ago and who knows what was done. Pour water into the floor drain and see if someone else can hear water running in the downspout drain. That will tell you if they are connected. Not really a good practice since the waste water treatment plant is processing basically clean water and during heavy rains can cause overflows in the plant. Now, pour water down the downspout drain and see if you can hear the water running in the floor drain. If you can, you most likely don't have a trap or it is disconnected or broken and you are direct venting the sewer into the basement. Floor drains in basements are not encouraged because they are the first place to flood during a backup. Do you need this drain? If not, jam a big rag or paper wad in the drain and mix up some quickcrete sand mix and fill the hole.
    tefrye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 05:04 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Well, running water through the gutter drain I did her water under the floor drain in basement. I could not hear any water from the gutter drain when fluching water through the floor drain in basement. However, when running the shower/tub I could hea

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic odor backup from first floor shower drain [ 9 Answers ]

There is a terrible septic odor increasing daily in my shower drain for the past week. Prior to this, I have never had an odor from this or any other drain in this five year old house. I do know that the closest entry point to my septic system is this first floor shower. One time a few years ago,...

Floor drain smell [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house last summer. The house is a little over 100 years old. Since the cold temperatures started I started to see problems with the floor drain in the basement. First I was doing laundry and I saw some bubbles coming up. No big deal. The next thing I know half of my basement is...

Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer ....

Tubs won't drain, toliets backed up, potty smell near septic system outside & in [ 2 Answers ]

Tub in master bath was slow draining last night and then this morning toliets in both baths backed up. Dirty water in both tubs now. No problem in other sinks in house. We don't have garbage disposal or dishwasher. House uses airstream septic system....about 6 yrs old. Pumped out 2 yrs ago. ...

Septic smell from shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved into a new custom home and began noticing a smell from the septic system. The smell is not that of raw sewage, but rather that of the system. I've shined a light down the drain to see if the shower drain has a p-trap, I was not able to see a visible waterline in the drain. I'm...

View more questions Search