Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smileybrees Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 01:52 AM
    What do u say when a child says they see someone who is dead
    My daughter is 2 years old she says that she seen my brother that died before she was born... she knew his name and she also knew he was my brother without being told..
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 03:55 AM

What you don't do is encourage it, mom. You don't say very much of anything and let it fade away. Nothing can be gained by perpetuating something like this with a two year old.

Tick
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2010, 04:11 AM

I would not harp on about it,nor have her in the room while you discuss it with others.

I do believe young children are more 'open' to things that adults cannot explain,I think as adults we can rationlise what seems odd to us.

Depending on your beliefs,maybe your brother is just looking out for her,a guardian angel so to speak.

Imagination in young children is to be encouraged,however,so not to scare her,I would just tell her its OK and distract her with something else.

On a personal note,I would thank or pray (depending on your belief) your brother for watching over her.
    septemberlove Posts: 30, Reputation: 11

Jul 11, 2010, 04:38 AM
    I think this is tricky. She's two years old, not two months... she's probably heard you speak of him or about him to others. Children are like sponges and they can soak up a LOT of info that you don't even realize they know. I'm sure she's seen pictures of him throughout your hose, or at a relatives house too. If I were you, I would let it go. Let it fade out. Don't ask her questions, don't bring it up to her, just move on and when she brings it up, say "that's nice" and let it go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child of dead beat dad [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I recently found out that my dad died. I only met a few times in my life. He never was around when I was growing up and didn't pay child support. My mom had liens on everything but he would just put everything in my step mothers name so we couldn't get to it. We live in California and he...

Dead beat father & child custody and visitation in TX [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is Kay and my child is 10 months old. His father has only seen him a handful of times and is currently in jail. He is not on my child's birth certificate. His father has a history of drug abuse and violance tendencies but nothing I can prove cause he has never been caught doing any of...

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

View more questions Search