Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Sales and use tax
    See if there are any tax people that can answer this. I am in Utah. I have a small business and I have a sales tax license, and I am set up for retail sales. I need to file my quarterly sales tax return, for $119.96 in sales last quarter (I know, I am just starting). My question is this, I purchased items for resale in this same quarter and paid sales tax - is there someway to claim a credit for this on the sales tax return?

Thanks
    Blake
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 12, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Blake:

I am addressing this using the generally-accepted sales tax provisions available in most states, because I do NOT practice in Utah.

If you purchased an item for resale, you SHOULD be exempt from paying sales taxes on that item when you make the purchase. If you failed to specify that the item was for resale and, as a result, paid a sales tax, I suspect that there is NO credit available to you.

Jul 12, 2010, 05:03 PM
    With my sales tax license, items purchased for resale are tax exempt. I assumed that I could claim a credit, so I didn't set up tax-exempt accounts with all my suppliers. I know that you should never assume when it comes to the IRS.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Blake:

Sales taxes are NOT administered by the IRS. They are administered by the state, in your case, Utah.

Jul 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Thank you for your help Atlanta, On my sales tax return form, there was a spot for adjustments. I recorded my purchases that I paid sales tax on in this adjustments spot. I may have done it wrong, but it calculated out too what I figured were correct numbers. I guess if I did it wrong, the state will reject it and make me do it right. I had to explain my adjustment when I did it. I explained it as excess tax collected: income tax paid on products purchased for re-sale. I'll post if the state found this acceptable or not when I know.

Blake-Utah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize [ 1 Answers ]

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize and what if you itemize?

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize [ 1 Answers ]

My child's day care provider refuses to give me the social security number or ein. Can I still file for the credit for taking care of the child?

Does gross sales include sales tax? [ 2 Answers ]

Because sales tax from a restaurant passes through to the state do I include it on my income statement and then write it off as an expense? Or do I leave it off both sides (income and expense). Which is the more correct way to handle it?

Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property [ 3 Answers ]

For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years. Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule? Thank-you, ...

View more questions Search